Help - Row level locking

Post by r.. » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 07:26:28

Hello Everybody

I am using SqlServer 7.0 for a data entry application.  The application
has data entry module and search module.  There are 5 data entry
operator.  The main table is created with default values and each row
goes to a data entry operator to update rest of the fields.  Is there
anyway i can avoid sending the same record to more than one data entry
operator in sqlserver.  I know you can give a hint when you do a
sqlstatement.  When i tried looking for similar kind of thing in BOL, i
could'n find any.  May be i am looking in the wrong place.
If there is no mechanism in sqlserver to handle this, then i am
planning to keep a bit flag for each row and update the flag whenever
it goes to a data entry operator and update the flag back with the data
once the data entry operator complete data entry. But i need to
implement state management to work this login without any bug.  Is this
a right way of doing?

I would like someone to guide me in the right direction to proceed
further.

Thanks in advance
Ramesh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help - Row level locking

Post by r.. » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 07:26:38

[...]

Post by Erland Sommarsk » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 05:46:32

[posted and mailed]

>I am using SqlServer 7.0 for a data entry application.  The application
>has data entry module and search module.  There are 5 data entry
>operator.  The main table is created with default values and each row
>goes to a data entry operator to update rest of the fields.  Is there
>anyway i can avoid sending the same record to more than one data entry
>operator in sqlserver.

This sounds to me like something you should implement yourself.
When a entry is sent to an operator, you update a column to mark
the entry as busy.

Since the operator may go to lunch, or kill his application in some
disorderly way, the column should probably be a date column, and if
the value is more than, say, an hour ago, this is the same as that
the entry has not been handled yet. Then if the first operator
comes back from his lunch and presses the Update button in the
application, you need to check that someone has not come in between

Timestamp columns can be handy for the latter. Note that timestamp
in SQL Server has nothing to with time or date.

--

1. HELP: row level locking with ADO ACCESS 2K and VB6/VC6

Hello,
I am facing problem in getting row level locking in access
2k database with ADO.  Could anybody please help me out
with a piece of working code on how to do that.  What ever
I try it is becoming as page level lock and in my multi
user environment other users are not allowed to change the
other records.
Any help is hightly appreciated.

pvs

2. Oracle 8.0.5 and SuSE 6.0

3. table-level lock or row-level lock

4. stock quotes

5. row-level or page-level locking?

6. efficiency of 'between' in where clause

7. row level vs page level locking is it more than marketing

8. URGENT VB/ACCESS Question

9. Page lock to simulate row level lock

10. row level locking and dead-lock prevention

11. Paradox 5.0: Row level locking or page locking?

12. Help: Problem about Row-Level locking