ArcServe versus Backup Exec

Post by Howard Huttle » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

We currently use CA ArcServe (ArcServe 6.5 Enterprise and Single Server
Editions) to backup our Windows NT files and MS-SQL Server databases.
We have experienced significant reliability issues with ArcServe.  Many
times we have found ourselves rebuilding a corrupt ArcServe Job
(ArcServe's backup schedule) database.  One of our NT server
occasionally NT bug checks when ArcServe is performing backups.
Occasionally ArcServe Jobs incorrectly reschedule themselves.  Sometimes
the Jobs do not complete but stay executing, not performing any work,
and to cancel them may require a lot of effort.  The ArcServe job DB
repair utility generally does not work.  The user interface is lacking.
For example, the job scheduling options are very limited.  CA tech
support for this product has been poor.  Because we have issues with
ArcServe stability we are now evaluating Veritas (formally Seagate)
Backup Exec for NT.  What are other people's experiences with these 2
products?

ArcServe versus Backup Exec

Post by Mike Surcou » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Howard

One of my clients uses ARCserve for NT and one uses Backup Exec.
I recommended Backup Exec to my second client as we had a few probs with
Arcserve at the first site.  I wish I hadn't
Tech support is better with Backup Exec but I have had loads of problems
with it in terms of tape errors and tape drive errors so I have needed it
more.
Overall ARCserve has been very reliable and I have restored from it a few
times with no probs.
I also use it to transfer databases between sites.
I also use the SQL Agent for SQL Server 6.5 and have had few problems with
this.
I find the Backup Exec user interface less confusing than ARCserves but it
is still not good.

In summary I would say to my next customer to use ARCServe.

BTW If you need online backups for SQL 7.0 this is still not available with
arcserve although it is promised soon.
Backup exec already has an agent out

Regards Mike Surcouf
Surcouf Software Services Ltd

Quote:>We currently use CA ArcServe (ArcServe 6.5 Enterprise and Single Server
>Editions) to backup our Windows NT files and MS-SQL Server databases.
>We have experienced significant reliability issues with ArcServe.  Many
>times we have found ourselves rebuilding a corrupt ArcServe Job
>(ArcServe's backup schedule) database.  One of our NT server
>occasionally NT bug checks when ArcServe is performing backups.
>Occasionally ArcServe Jobs incorrectly reschedule themselves.  Sometimes
>the Jobs do not complete but stay executing, not performing any work,
>and to cancel them may require a lot of effort.  The ArcServe job DB
>repair utility generally does not work.  The user interface is lacking.
>For example, the job scheduling options are very limited.  CA tech
>support for this product has been poor.  Because we have issues with
>ArcServe stability we are now evaluating Veritas (formally Seagate)
>Backup Exec for NT.  What are other people's experiences with these 2
>products?

1. ArcServe Backup Agent vs. SQL 7 Backup

My company uses ArcServe (with the SQL 7 Backup agent) to backup our
databases.
The agent, an add-on product, supposedly reduces backup time, but requires
ArcServe software. On the other hand, SQL 7's own Backup and scheduling
capabilities seem quite robust to me.

Is the agent worth the trouble or would you rely on SQL 7' s own facilities
instead?

TIA,
Bill

2. Long strings in dynasets.

3. Veritas Backup versus SQL backup

4. Storedprocedures in SQL Server 7.0:

5. NT Backup vs Backup Exec

6. procedure builder help!

7. Backup and Disaster Recovery Plans and Backup Exec

8. Oracle Resources (JOBS, RESUMES, LINKS, TUNING SCRIPT)!

9. Backup Exec Full DB Backup

10. SQL 7.0 Backup and Backup Exec

11. Backup of SQL 2K with Backup Exec 8.6 SQL agent

12. Nightly Backup Question (Backup Exec vs. Dump)

13. Backup of database tables through Seagate Backup Exec 7.2 SQLserver agent