SQL Server server component over NT 4.0 Workstation

SQL Server server component over NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Patrick Flahert » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible to install (I believe Standard Edition) SQL Server,
the server component that is, over NT 4.0 Workstation?

We're relatively new to SQL Server.  The admin/dba person who
administers the main SQL Server machine on which people are
starting to develop feels that two recent crashes are due to
me (still in development so not a huge deal).  So he gave
me one of our licensed install CD-ROM kits and said 'here
install this on your local workstation and move your db
over there.'

OK that's fine.  Install from out of Add/Remove programs.
But now, multiple times, on about the 3rd or 4th dialog
in the install sequence, I get

SQL Server server component cannot be installed on NT Workstation
using this CD

Now what does that mean?  Does it mean that some other CD
will work?  What CD?  Or must I upgrade my workstation to
NT Server 4.0?

Any help appreciated.

pat

SQL Server server component over NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Wayne Snyde » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The "Desktop" version must be installed on NT Workstation... But don't get
your knickers in a twist, it has all the same stuff that the standard
edition has.... Now no more excuses.... get to work!! :-)

--
Wayne Snyder
MCSE, MCT, SQL Server MVP

SQL Server server component over NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Patrick Flahert » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>The "Desktop" version must be installed on NT Workstation... But don't get
>your knickers in a twist, it has all the same stuff that the standard
>edition has.... Now no more excuses.... get to work!! :-)

>--
>Wayne Snyder
>MCSE, MCT, SQL Server MVP
>IKON Education Services -  C*te, NC
>(Please respond to newsgroup unles otherwise requested.)

thanx Wayne.  Yes I found this already yesterday.  At first didn't
want to install Desktop, thinking it a watered-down version of
some kind.  But then figured, 'well if that's all I can install
on Workstation, I'll give it a try and see how it performs'.

So installed.  One nice feature of the installation is that it
doesn't tell you you need to be logged in as adminstrator.  If
you're not then, and you try installing, it hangs mysteriously,
again with no message, on one of the dialogs,  Hit Previous,
Next, Cancel: no effect.

Now I have to move my db from the old server to the new.  Tried
backup and restore.  Hmmm don't seem to be able to see my
backup kit from the new database.  Why's that?  So then
I created the new db empty on the new server, dumped all
the SQL scripts out from the old and reran these in the context
of the new.  Then set up a DTS on the new corresponding to that
in the old and imported the first table from our legacy
system (VMS) that drives all subsequent tables.  That is,
most of the data in 10 tables is driven by a first, single
table.

This worked but there must be a better way to transfer a db
in its entirety from one server to another?

In addition, I tried setting a DTS between the old and new
servers, and it gave some kind of message about 'you license
doesn't support this'.  I'd been told that we'd bought a
fairly gold-plated license and so was surprised by this.
Is the ability to transfer whole dbs between separate
servers something you have to pay extra for?  Hmph.

pat

SQL Server server component over NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Bart Dunca » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Is the ability to transfer whole dbs between separate
>servers something you have to pay extra for?  Hmph.

See Q207809 - INF: DTS/Replication Licensing for Desktop SQL Server 7.0
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Bart

>>The "Desktop" version must be installed on NT Workstation... But don't
get
>>your knickers in a twist, it has all the same stuff that the standard
>>edition has.... Now no more excuses.... get to work!! :-)

>>--
>>Wayne Snyder
>>MCSE, MCT, SQL Server MVP
>>IKON Education Services -  C*te, NC
>>(Please respond to newsgroup unles otherwise requested.)

>thanx Wayne.  Yes I found this already yesterday.  At first didn't
>want to install Desktop, thinking it a watered-down version of
>some kind.  But then figured, 'well if that's all I can install
>on Workstation, I'll give it a try and see how it performs'.

>So installed.  One nice feature of the installation is that it
>doesn't tell you you need to be logged in as adminstrator.  If
>you're not then, and you try installing, it hangs mysteriously,
>again with no message, on one of the dialogs,  Hit Previous,
>Next, Cancel: no effect.

>Now I have to move my db from the old server to the new.  Tried
>backup and restore.  Hmmm don't seem to be able to see my
>backup kit from the new database.  Why's that?  So then
>I created the new db empty on the new server, dumped all
>the SQL scripts out from the old and reran these in the context
>of the new.  Then set up a DTS on the new corresponding to that
>in the old and imported the first table from our legacy
>system (VMS) that drives all subsequent tables.  That is,
>most of the data in 10 tables is driven by a first, single
>table.

>This worked but there must be a better way to transfer a db
>in its entirety from one server to another?

>In addition, I tried setting a DTS between the old and new
>servers, and it gave some kind of message about 'you license
>doesn't support this'.  I'd been told that we'd bought a
>fairly gold-plated license and so was surprised by this.
>Is the ability to transfer whole dbs between separate
>servers something you have to pay extra for?  Hmph.

>pat

SQL Server server component over NT 4.0 Workstation

Post by Ron Valde » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Patrick Flaherty asked...

Quote:> Is it possible to install (I believe Standard Edition) SQL Server,
> the server component that is, over NT 4.0 Workstation?

(snip)

> SQL Server server component cannot be installed on NT Workstation
> using this CD

I had the same problem... I bought the developer edition of Visual Studio
just so I could get SQL 7.0 for my home computer (running Win NT Workstation
4.0), and was slightly irked when the program would not install.  I had
assumed that the client-connection limit was enforced elsewhere, not during
the installation... SQL 6.5 didn't have this limit, but then it could only
run on NT anyway.

1. Problem Installing SQL Server 6.5 on NT 4.0 Workstation SP3

Newby with SQL SERVER needs help:

I have good indication that SQL Server can run on NT4 WORKSTATION (SP3).

I am setting it up as a stand-alone DBMS, and it appears to be relatively
straight forward.
I have named pipes selected, and I select to have the SQL Executive log on
using a local
system account (which has admin rights).

However, in the final thows of installation, the installation program tries
to dial up my ISP number (!) looking for the name of the current logged-on
NT
account. This surely should not be. Installation subsequently failes, due to
"Setup could could not connect to SQL Server" error.

I have also created a separate account for SQL Server with admin rights,
and selected to have the SQL Executive
log on to NT using this account. The same error occurs.

Any feedback much appreciated,

Gerrit Hoekstra
WI, USA

2. INFORMIX-OnLine DSA and RAID: which level is the best?

3. Installing Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Developer Edition On Windows NT Workstation 4.0 sp3

4. Ingres position sought

5. SOS : how install SQL Server 6.5 with NT Workstation 4.0

6. VFP Transparent Text ?

7. SQL Server on Windows NT 4.0 Workstation ?

8. stored procedures from ASP

9. Installing MS SQL Server on NT 4.0 Workstation?

10. Run SQL Server On NT Workstation 4.0

11. SQL Server SP 5a, NT Server SP4, NT Workstation SP5, MDAC 2.1 - Error 37000

12. Installing SQL Server on Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

13. Installing SQL Server 6.5 under NT 4.0 Workstation