Turn off case sensitivity on SQL server

Post by Fran?ois Fournie » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:28:38

I am trying to make a program, developped with paradox tables, working with
the same table structure on SQL Server.

Here is my problem: Field and table name in SQL sent to paradox are not case
sensitive and they are with SQL server.

Is there a way to configure SQL Server to do not be case sensitive with
fields and tables name when it execute an SQL?

Thank in advance.

Turn off case sensitivity on SQL server

Post by Sinisa Cati » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:08:27

Bonjour Fran?ois:

Do you have SQL Server 2000? What is collation identifier
name for your database? To find that execute sp_helpdb
N'YourDatabaseName'. Collation name is in the status
column.

If you have created database without specifying collation,
then your database have default collation
SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, which is Case Insensitive.

Sinisa

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am trying to make a program, developped with paradox

tables, working with
Quote:>the same table structure on SQL Server.

>Here is my problem: Field and table name in SQL sent to

paradox are not case
Quote:>sensitive and they are with SQL server.

>Is there a way to configure SQL Server to do not be case
sensitive with
>fields and tables name when it execute an SQL?

>Thank in advance.

>.

Turn off case sensitivity on SQL server

Post by Fran?ois Fournie » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:15:01

Thanks for your answer

Yes, I have SQL Server 2000

I already tryed to change the collation type to something case insensitive.
The problem is I have some tables with primary key as char(10) and for
exemple with this content : "Left" and "left". If collation type is case
insensitive then I get key violation when I generate this table.

I need to be able to send SQL with case sensitivity at off and manage the
data with case sensitivity at on. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Bonjour Fran?ois:

Do you have SQL Server 2000? What is collation identifier
name for your database? To find that execute sp_helpdb
N'YourDatabaseName'. Collation name is in the status
column.

If you have created database without specifying collation,
then your database have default collation
SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, which is Case Insensitive.

Sinisa

Turn off case sensitivity on SQL server

Post by William Chen [M » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:54:03

For further information on this topic, see "Character Sets And Sort Orders"

William Chen

1. Question on Scope of Case-Sensitivity on a Case-Sensitive SQL Server 7.0/2000

We are planning on setting up a development SQL Server with Case-Sensitive
sort order.  We have never had this configuration before and I have a few
questions, that BOL did not answer:

1.  Are all database object ( table, procedure and column names, etc.. )
case sensitive as well?

2.  Are SQL Server reserved words case sensitive (i.e. SELECT, INSERT, etc).

3.  Are built in functions like GETDATE() and SUSER_SNAME() case sensitive?

Thanks,

Tom

2. ++ manifestation of previous post..

3. Turning on Case Sensitivity

4. 10293-TX-DALLAS-ORACLE-Relational Database-UNIX-Developer 2000-Designer 2000-Web

5. turn off/on case insensetive search in Oracle DBMS

6. SYBASE Portal has a problem ?

7. How to Turn off the case sensitive

8. How to turn off case sensitive searches

9. Turning Off Case Sensitive Collation

10. Case-sensitivity in SQL Server 6.5

11. Case sensitivity in SQL Server 6.5