Suggestions on supporting SQL Database from Remote location

Suggestions on supporting SQL Database from Remote location

Post by R » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:51:57

I have a MS Access 2000 database that is split w/ the tables on the
server and the front end on the client.  This makes it great to
develop the front end and then send it via email to a client.  Since i
can store the queries,forms,modules, etc.  My question is i am
upsizing the database to use the MSDE backend.  Since the stored
procedures are on the backend what is the best way to alter the
database since it is in a remote location.  They only have a dialup
connection.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Suggestions on supporting SQL Database from Remote location

Post by Phil Jeffre » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:05:32

PcAnywhere is a good solution in this type of situation.

> I have a MS Access 2000 database that is split w/ the tables on the
> server and the front end on the client.  This makes it great to
> develop the front end and then send it via email to a client.  Since i
> can store the queries,forms,modules, etc.  My question is i am
> upsizing the database to use the MSDE backend.  Since the stored
> procedures are on the backend what is the best way to alter the
> database since it is in a remote location.  They only have a dialup
> connection.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Suggestions on supporting SQL Database from Remote location

Post by R » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 05:54:40

Is there any way to transfer the stored procedures/views etc that i
create here to the remote location??

Suggestions on supporting SQL Database from Remote location

Post by Phil Jeffre » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:13:51

The easiest way to do it is generate the SQL script as follows:

1. Right-click on the database name, select All Tasks > Generate SQL Script
2. Click Show All
3. Tick the items you want to script, eg All Views, All Stored Procedures,
or you can select individual objects in the list boxes below
4. Click the Formatting tab and make sure you create both the "CREATE" and
"DROP" commands.  This will ensure it deletes the old views/stored
procedures before creating your new ones.
5. Choose other options as required, then click OK to finish. You will be
asked to save as an SQL file (text file).

6. Simply transfer this SQL file across tothe client's computer, open it up
in SQL Query Analyzer and execute it.  This will drop and recreate your SPs
and views.

Phil.