need help restoring SQL Server

Post by Stan Mars » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I did an object transfer from a development server to production
server.  After backing up development server I removed SQL Server.  I
have since determined that a couple of the user stored procedures from
MASTER db did not transfer.  They apparently referenced some previously
dropped tables.  I now need to restore the old databases to get those
stored procedures back and debug them.
What I did was to install SQL Server on a new machine (same name as
oldserver) and copy old databases to the previous paths that they were
on in the old system.  MSSQLServer service now will not start.  I get:
        ERROR 2140:  An internal NT error has occured
I assumed that this was possibly due to this server having only 64MB and
the old server was configured to use 200MB.  I was able to start SQL
Server with:  SQLSERVR /dC:\MSSQL\DATA\MASTER.DAT /f
and then in ISQL/w I ran    SP_CONFIGURE MEMORY, 4192
After restarting NT I can still not get the service to start.  Is there
a step or steps that I am missing or am I going about this the wrong
way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

need help restoring SQL Server

Post by Michael Yocc » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Make sure that the other configuration parameters are not
chewing up too much ram such as tempdb in ram etc etc
--
Michael Yocca
SQL Server and ERwin Consultant

Quote:> I did an object transfer from a development server to production
> server.  After backing up development server I removed SQL Server.  I
> have since determined that a couple of the user stored procedures from
> MASTER db did not transfer.  They apparently referenced some previously
> dropped tables.  I now need to restore the old databases to get those
> stored procedures back and debug them.
> What I did was to install SQL Server on a new machine (same name as
> oldserver) and copy old databases to the previous paths that they were
> on in the old system.  MSSQLServer service now will not start.  I get:
>    ERROR 2140:  An internal NT error has occured
> I assumed that this was possibly due to this server having only 64MB and
> the old server was configured to use 200MB.  I was able to start SQL
> Server with:  SQLSERVR /dC:\MSSQL\DATA\MASTER.DAT /f
> and then in ISQL/w I ran    SP_CONFIGURE MEMORY, 4192
> After restarting NT I can still not get the service to start.  Is there
> a step or steps that I am missing or am I going about this the wrong
> way.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

need help restoring SQL Server

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Stan,

 It sounds more like the NT userid that SQL is trying to start under
doesn't have the relevant permissions to read the registry/start the
service.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd

1. Help, my SQL server crashed...need to restore

As long as you have a backup, all you need to do is restore and resync the
logins.

Check out RESTORE DATABASE and sp_change_users_login in the Books Online for
details.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

2. Removing datafile from tablespace HOWTO?

3. Help - Server crashed - need to restore database files from old server

4. Configuring SGA greater that 2GB on Red Hat Linux 7.3 / Oracle 9i Rel 2

5. Help - restore backup file from SQL server 2000 on SQL server 7.0 failed

6. Replication and on-line recovery

7. Need help with a problem regarding Backup and Restore for Standby Server

8. *HELP*IDE ZIP*HELP

9. HELP Restoring Master database from one SQL6.5 server to another SQL Server in different network

10. Help! Need to restore to personal sql

11. SQL 2000 Restoring Database Problem Need Help Please!!

12. Need Help, How I Restore Login(SQL)