Be Careful With SP3...TEST, TEST, TEST

Post by Joel Jank » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:03:40

As a beta subscriber who has implemented multiple beta implementations
of SP3 on multiple boxes, I was feeling pretty good that SP3 wasn't
going to break any of my stuff and indeed would fix a handful of
problems I was having.

Nice thought, but OUCH not reality.  This has been the single most
painful service pack I've ever dealt with going back to the SQL Server
6.5 days (when there were a lot of less than adequate service packs).  I
got the SP installed OK on one server, but on another it completely
torched the
system.  I've tried everything I can think of.  I completely uninstalled
both SQL Server and Analysis Services...even blowing away the remants
left behind by the uninstaller in the various folders.  Nothing
works...my system is completely torched.  I've reinstalled SQL Server
and Analysis Services multiple times, but I can't get past the same
crazy error.  When I open up Analysis Manager and try to connect I get
this error:

Cannot connect to the repository.
OLAP server: MyServer
Error:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default
driver specified.

I've obviously checked the connection string setting and it correctly
points to the genericc shipping .MDB file.  I'll provide an update when
I find a work around.

- Joel

Be Careful With SP3...TEST, TEST, TEST

Post by Joel Jank » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:31:37

The issue turned out to be a classic case of DLL hell.

Somehow when SP3 got installed it did not properly register DSO and gave
no indication of any problems (i.e. no warning or error messages at
installation time). Uninstalling Analysis Services does not uninstall
DSO thus the corrupted DSO installation would have lingered forever.

The solution was to unregister the DSO .dll files using regsvr32 and
then re-register them using regsver32.  As in...

regsvr32 -u msmddo80.dll
regsvr32 -u msmddo.dll
regsvr32 -u msmdlock.dll
regsvr32 -u msmdnet.dll
regsvr32 -u msmdint.dll

regsvr32 msmdint.dll
regsvr32 msmdnet.dll
regsvr32 msmdlock.dll
regsvr32 msmddo.dll
regsvr32 msmddo80.dll

I hope I'm an isolated case, but consider yourselves forewarned...just
make sure you have good backups in place in case things go bad.

Now that I have SP3 properly in place, I haven't yet noticed any issues.

- Joel

Post by Beat » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:05:41

> The issue turned out to be a classic case of DLL hell.

> Somehow when SP3 got installed it did not properly register DSO and gave
> no indication of any problems (i.e. no warning or error messages at
> installation time). Uninstalling Analysis Services does not uninstall
> DSO thus the corrupted DSO installation would have lingered forever.

> The solution was to unregister the DSO .dll files using regsvr32 and
> then re-register them using regsver32.  As in...

> regsvr32 -u msmddo80.dll
> regsvr32 -u msmddo.dll
> regsvr32 -u msmdlock.dll
> regsvr32 -u msmdnet.dll
> regsvr32 -u msmdint.dll

> regsvr32 msmdint.dll
> regsvr32 msmdnet.dll
> regsvr32 msmdlock.dll
> regsvr32 msmddo.dll
> regsvr32 msmddo80.dll

> I hope I'm an isolated case, but consider yourselves forewarned...just
> make sure you have good backups in place in case things go bad.

> Now that I have SP3 properly in place, I haven't yet noticed any issues.

> - Joel

Hi Joel.
Ive got a similar problem without SP3 but with SP2 after several
other
installations of different software. It happened immediate and I
couldnt
track the origin of the problem. The only hint was that the OLAP Tools
of Excel where also crashed and the repair of office caused many more
dll and registry problems. My final solution was : format C and new
installation. Not the best but the most effective, cause youll never
get the registry really clean after
deinstalling wrong working MS software. But if it happens next time,
what I expect for sure, Ill try your solution.
But be sure, I feel with you and I sweared hell out of it.:-)))))
Greetings
Beate