using windows NT Server Local groups

Post by Bassa » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:15:58

Hello

I found that windows NT global groups is the only group type I can use and
local groups is not allowed and gives "failed to login" to any user on them,
I would like to define some users in global groups then use local groups to
include some to those defined global groups and then define this local
groups as a login in SQL Server 2000, this didn't work, any ideas will be
highly appreciated.

Thank you
Bassam

using windows NT Server Local groups

Post by Steve Thompso » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:55:50

That's not true if your SQL Server is installed on a member server.

Local NT groups can be added and managed as SQL Server security objects
<machinename\localgroupname>. The recommended practice is: add users to
global groups, add global groups to local groups, assign permissions to
local groups, still applies here.

Steve

Quote:> I found that windows NT global groups is the only group type I can use and
> local groups is not allowed and gives "failed to login" to any user on
them,
> I would like to define some users in global groups then use local groups
> include some to those defined global groups and then define this local
> groups as a login in SQL Server 2000, this didn't work, any ideas will be
> highly appreciated.

using windows NT Server Local groups

Post by [MS] Eric Ya » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:24:24

Dear Bassam,

Please make sure that the MSSQLServer service account is a member of the
domain that the global group belongs to. Besides, the SQL Server should be
the member server of the domain.

If the above doesn't work, please check the following:

1.      If you just add a domain account into the local group and then add the
local group into the SQL Server login. Can you connect the SQL Server
successfully?
2.      If you just add a domain account into the local group and then add the
local group into the SQL Server login. Can you connect the SQL Server
successfully?
3.      You can also run a profiler while the SQL Server is being connected.
Please trace and check the value of the monitor data 'loginname', which
reflect who is connecting your SQL Server.
4.      Could you please give us the reproduce steps in detail? The accurate
information will help us to deep research on the problem.

Sincerely,

Eric Yang [MS]
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This is our online
account name for newsgroup participation only.
This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.