MSDE, DTS, and Visual Basic -> Just looking for an explanation !?!?!

MSDE, DTS, and Visual Basic -> Just looking for an explanation !?!?!

Post by Heath Gol » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 01:27:46

Hello All.

Of course, I am attempting to create a DTS package within a VB DLL and
execute it MSDE. After attempting to get this to work for some 14
hours, we gave up and bypassed the DTS stuff. (When executing the DTS
package within VB, it just hung, no errors generated.)

All I am looking for is a site (or official explanation better than
mine) that explains why the DTS stuff works on SQL 7 Enterprise and
not on MSDE. [I need a better answer to give my boss other than the
obvious differences between MSDE and an enterpirse version ;-)] I
tried looking all over Microsoft's sites and searched pages and pages
trying to find an official answer, but all I have found is other's
having the same problem.

Thanks in Advance,

Heath Golub

MSDE, DTS, and Visual Basic -> Just looking for an explanation !?!?!

Post by Darren Gree » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 07:11:58

Quote:>Hello All.

>Of course, I am attempting to create a DTS package within a VB DLL and
>execute it MSDE. After attempting to get this to work for some 14
>hours, we gave up and bypassed the DTS stuff. (When executing the DTS
>package within VB, it just hung, no errors generated.)

>All I am looking for is a site (or official explanation better than
>mine) that explains why the DTS stuff works on SQL 7 Enterprise and
>not on MSDE. [I need a better answer to give my boss other than the
>obvious differences between MSDE and an enterpirse version ;-)] I
>tried looking all over Microsoft's sites and searched pages and pages
>trying to find an official answer, but all I have found is other's
>having the same problem.

>Thanks in Advance,

>Heath Golub

I've not use MSDE at all, so in the absence of an error message I can't
offer any specific advice, but it sounds like it should work.

If you where executing the DLL and hence package on the MSDE machine you
would need to install the DTS components as they normally come with
Enterprise Manager (EM) which MSDE lacks.

Can you run the package from EM that connects to MSDE?
Was the package coded in the VB DLL or load into? If the former, try the
latter. A file package would be easy enough to distribute.

--
Darren Green (SQL Server MVP)
http://www.sqldts.com

(Which version of SQL Server? What is the full error message?)

1. DTS problem SQL7->DTS->Excel->DTS->SQL7

I'm using DTS to export SQL data to an Excel file, let user make updates in
excel, then import back into SQL, deleting old data first.

Problem:
After user edits numeric cells in Excel, in DTS package/Preview shows new
values to be empty or null. Actual import shows same result where new values
in Excel become null in SQL.

I import same Excel file into an Access table. no problem.

2. Linking to database - pagefault(?)

3. IL-CHICAGO-138941--Visual Basic-SQLSERVER-RDBMS-ORACLE-Management-Visual Foxpro-Visual Basic Developer

4. Connecting

5. OH-CINCINNATI-105470--Visual Basic-ORACLE-Visual C++-MFC-OOD-Visual Basic Programmer

6. Connecting through Access/ODBC

7. Error in COPY STRUCTURE command