SMP concurrency setting

Post by Todd Walla » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

How do you decide what to set SMP Concurrency to? We have a 2-processor
Alpha, and this concurrency is set to 0. Should I set it to something
else for better performance?

Thanks,
Todd Wallace

SMP concurrency setting

Post by Bill Chesn » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>How do you decide what to set SMP Concurrency to? We have a 2-processor
>Alpha, and this concurrency is set to 0. Should I set it to something
>else for better performance?

Todd,

The way I read the manual, 0 means that SQL server will use all of the
cpu's, you only set the value if you would like to limit the number
that is uses.

Bill Chesnut

1. SMP concurrency settings

I have a simple question but one that is causing me a bit of
confusion.  I have a 2 processor dedicated SQL Server and would like to
get the maximum CPU utilization possible for SQL Server without
compromising NT.

My understanding is that if I set SMP concurrency to "0" then SQL Server
will auto-configure to N-1 which in the case of a dual processor machine
will be 2-1 or 1 dedicated processor.
If I set SMP concurrency to "1" it is essentially the same as "0" in a
dual processor machine.
Finally if I set it to "-1" I will have dedicated SMP support meaning
that all processors will be dedicated to SQL Server. Same as a "2"
setting in a dual processor machine??

My first question is what impact does a "-1" setting have upon the OS?
My second question is what setting would be recommended for the sted
senario?
I realize that I did not give db specifics such as size and tranaction
types and frequencies but that is because I am mainly interested in
brief general recomendations that I can apply to more specific
situations as the arise.

Thank you in advance for any replys.

Dave Smith

Please remove    NO_SPAM    from email address to reply.

          <'((>>><              <'((>>><
-------------------- <'((>>>><         <'((>>><
                                   <'((>>><             <'((>>><

2. Underlying Recordset

3. SMP Concurrency Question / HELP...

4. Strategy question - DTS, .NET, OLAP and how to build our data warehouse

5. SMP Concurrency

6. Pick Systems to merge!

7. Question on SMP Concurrency

8. Write table columns to an external data file

9. SMP Concurrency

10. SMP Concurrency in ver 6.5

11. SMP concurrency configuration

12. Setting concurrency/isolation levels from vb