SQL Server 2000 and SQL Profiler

Post by Robert Stricklan » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 05:20:43

I'm trying to capture the connect and disconnect events under SQL Profiler
for some connection pooling test. However, under the Session group I only
have access to the event ExistingConnection. I'm running on XP Professional.
I have seen documentation mention the two events I want to monitor. What am
I missing?

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Profiler

Post by Brian Mora » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:04:39

I suspect you're looking for the Audit Login and Audit Logout events in the
Security Audit event class. These events monitor hard logins and logouts to
SQL Server.

You'll see logins and logouts if you're not grabbing a connetion from the
pool.... if connections are being grabbed from COM pool then you wouldn't
see a hard Audit Login when a new client connection is made....

--

Brian Moran
Principal Mentor

Quote:> I'm trying to capture the connect and disconnect events under SQL Profiler
> for some connection pooling test. However, under the Session group I only
> have access to the event ExistingConnection. I'm running on XP
Professional.
> I have seen documentation mention the two events I want to monitor. What
am
> I missing?

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Profiler

Post by Robert Stricklan » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:56:13

Thanks for responding.

I'll look at those events to monitor my connection. Curious, is there a
connect and disconnect event under Session? Did I misread the documentation?

> I suspect you're looking for the Audit Login and Audit Logout events in
the
> Security Audit event class. These events monitor hard logins and logouts
> SQL Server.

> You'll see logins and logouts if you're not grabbing a connetion from the
> pool.... if connections are being grabbed from COM pool then you wouldn't
> see a hard Audit Login when a new client connection is made....

> --

> Brian Moran
> Principal Mentor
> Solid Quality Learning
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com

> > I'm trying to capture the connect and disconnect events under SQL
Profiler
> > for some connection pooling test. However, under the Session group I
only
> > have access to the event ExistingConnection. I'm running on XP
> Professional.
> > I have seen documentation mention the two events I want to monitor. What
> am
> > I missing?

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Profiler

Post by Bill Cheng [MSF » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:33:15

Hi Robert,

Thanks for Brian's help.

Are you using SQL Server 2000? I think in SQL Server 2000, the connect and
disconnect events are replaced by Audit Login and Audit Logout events.

Regards,

Bill Cheng
Microsoft Support Engineer
--------------------

| Subject: Re: SQL Server 2000 and SQL Profiler
| Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:56:13 -0400

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect
|
| Thanks for responding.
|
| I'll look at those events to monitor my connection. Curious, is there a
| connect and disconnect event under Session? Did I misread the
documentation?

| > I suspect you're looking for the Audit Login and Audit Logout events in
| the
| > Security Audit event class. These events monitor hard logins and logouts
| > SQL Server.
| >
| > You'll see logins and logouts if you're not grabbing a connetion from
the
| > pool.... if connections are being grabbed from COM pool then you
wouldn't
| > see a hard Audit Login when a new client connection is made....
| >
| > --
| >
| > Brian Moran
| > Principal Mentor
| > Solid Quality Learning
| > SQL Server MVP
| > http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
| >

| > > I'm trying to capture the connect and disconnect events under SQL
| Profiler
| > > for some connection pooling test. However, under the Session group I
| only
| > > have access to the event ExistingConnection. I'm running on XP
| > Professional.
| > > I have seen documentation mention the two events I want to monitor.
What
| > am
| > > I missing?

1. Sql Profiler Sql Server 2000

Hi,

        How is it possible to allow non SysAdmn roles access to Sql Profiler. The
gui pops up an error that says the user must be a member of SysAdmin role.
Why? We'ed like to give developers the ability to do traces in the
development environment, but dont want them in this role. The documentation
implies that if you give them permissions on the stored procedures that
profiler uses,  they should be able to run it.Anybody run into this?

TIA

Doug

2. Cheap (free?) tool for schema design?

3. SQL Server 2000 Profiler shows ADO Execution time is greater than Query Analyzer

4. Help!

5. SQL Server 2000 SP2 Profiler TextData column message

6. 13574-WA-Seattle-Visual Basic-Access Basic-OLE-ORACLE Tools-ORACLE Reports 2.X-O

7. Permissions to use SQL Server 2000 Profiler

8. HELP: EOutOfResources-problem

9. Help with Scripting SQL Server 2000 Profiler please?

10. Profiler Problem with SQL Server 2000 (PrepareSQL - 71)

11. Dispalying object names in SQL Server 2000 profiler

12. Unable to run Profiler definitions in SQL Server 2000

13. About Profiler in SQL Server 2000...