Heuristics for SQL Server 6.0 on NT/Server versus NT/Workstation

Heuristics for SQL Server 6.0 on NT/Server versus NT/Workstation

Post by Mark Eato » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm looking for some heuristics on when (if at all) NT/Workstation is an
appropriate platform to run SQL Server in a production environment.
Clearly, NT/Server is the right choice for SQL Server if you have a
dedicated server for your application, but I'm interested in a
configuration with a very small (i.e. <= 3) number of clients where the
SQL Server machine may also be used as a workstation for the
application.  Is NT/Workstation a better choice for this configuration
or is NT/Server always the correct choice.

Thanks,
Mark
--
Mark W. Eaton
Manager, Moxy Engineering

Post by m.. » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: I'm looking for some heuristics on when (if at all) NT/Workstation is an
: appropriate platform to run SQL Server in a production environment.
: Clearly, NT/Server is the right choice for SQL Server if you have a
: dedicated server for your application, but I'm interested in a
: configuration with a very small (i.e. <= 3) number of clients where the
: SQL Server machine may also be used as a workstation for the
: application.  Is NT/Workstation a better choice for this configuration
: or is NT/Server always the correct choice.

: Thanks,
: Mark
: --
: Mark W. Eaton
: Manager, Moxy Engineering
: Advent Software, Inc.
: 301 Brannan Street
: 4th Floor
: San Francisco, CA 94107
: Phone: (415) 543-7698 x428
: FAX: (415) 896-1327

The issue here is more a case of legality than performance - full SQL
Server will not install on NT Workstation and the Workstation edition
of SQL server is (in theory at least) single user. There are ways to
get full SQL server to install on NT Workstation and I am not sure that
SQL Server Workstation edition actually refuses multi-user connections,
but you would almost certainly be pushing the limits of the licence in
either case.

Regards,

Martin Bradford

Heuristics for SQL Server 6.0 on NT/Server versus NT/Workstation

Post by clark » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Use NT/Server and rub the apps on it.  NT/WorkStation doesn't run the
production version of SQL Server.  The WorkStation Version of SQL Server
is restricted in its accessibility from other machines.

Post by Robert Alexand » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm looking for some heuristics on when (if at all) NT/Workstation is an
>appropriate platform to run SQL Server in a production environment.
>Clearly, NT/Server is the right choice for SQL Server if you have a
>dedicated server for your application, but I'm interested in a
>configuration with a very small (i.e. <= 3) number of clients where the
>SQL Server machine may also be used as a workstation for the
>application.  Is NT/Workstation a better choice for this configuration
>or is NT/Server always the correct choice.
>Thanks,
>Mark
>--
>Mark W. Eaton
>Manager, Moxy Engineering
>Advent Software, Inc.
>301 Brannan Street
>4th Floor
>San Francisco, CA 94107
>Phone: (415) 543-7698 x428
>FAX: (415) 896-1327

We are running Sql Server on NT 3.51 WS in a development system with 5
NT WS 3.51 clients.  No problems with any performance.  Our databases
are large about 6-9 gigs and NT WS 3.51 works fine.

 It helps having a good disk subsystem.  We are using  a MYLEX 3
channel wide controler connected to about 10 4 gig drives running RAID
5.

Robert Alexander

Connolly Consulting Associates - Accounts Payable Auditors

1. SQL Server SP 5a, NT Server SP4, NT Workstation SP5, MDAC 2.1 - Error 37000

Hi!
We've had an application that has been running fine.  The NT Server is at
SP4.

NT Workstation    SQL Server
SP4                        SP4 ------------------- OK
SP4                        SP5a ----------------- FAIL
SP5                        SP5a ----------------- FAIL
SP6                        SP5a ----------------- OK

For a simple query with a where clause using MFC Recordset (MFC 6.0), Open
fails.  More specifically SQLExecute() fails with error code 37000.  "Syntax
error or Access Violation".  The extened text help is all blank.  Can
anybody throw any light on this situation?
Thanks
Aman

2. Help with DLL's in Triggers

3. SQL Server 6.0 on NT Workstation

4. Free database and JDBC driver?

5. PO7/NT Workstation vs ORACLE SERVER on NT SERVER

6. upgrade NT 3.51 with sql 6.0 to NT 4.0 with sql server 6.5

7. problems with installation of SQL Workstation 6.0 on NT Workstation 4.0

8. Problems with connecting to ASA 6.0 on Novell Server from NT workstation

9. OLAP difference between NT-Server and NT-Workstation?

10. SQL Server 2000 behaviour is different in Server 2000 and Windows NT Workstation

11. SQL Server server component over NT 4.0 Workstation