Sql Server 2000 Setup help

Post by Sql Server Admin Newbi » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:02:37

We have SQL Server 2000 (Standard Edition) licensed &
fully installed as part of a third-party application.

To get at SQL Server 2000, we have to log into the
database server via thin client and use it on the server.

Is there a front-end to SQL Server 2000 that can reside on
my PC that will let me run the SQL Server "console" on my
PC and create stored procedures, views, tables, etc.
without having to use the thin client interface?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sql Server 2000 Setup help

Post by Hari » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:06:46

Hi,

Check your license method.

Two types of licenses are there:

1. Processor based
2. Seat based

If it is processor based , u can very well install a SQL client in your mac
and access the server.

Incase u have purchased a seat based license , you may need to purchase a
CAL (client access license)

Run the below query for getting the license type:

SELECT  'LicenseType', CAST(ServerProperty('LicenseType') AS nvarchar(100))

FYI ,  SQL server comes along with lots of tool to communicate to database:

1. Query analyser
2. Enterprise manager ...

Regards
Hari.

Quote:> We have SQL Server 2000 (Standard Edition) licensed &
> fully installed as part of a third-party application.

> To get at SQL Server 2000, we have to log into the
> database server via thin client and use it on the server.

> Is there a front-end to SQL Server 2000 that can reside on
> my PC that will let me run the SQL Server "console" on my
> PC and create stored procedures, views, tables, etc.
> without having to use the thin client interface?

> Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Advice for setup of SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server

Hello all,

I am seeking setup advice for:

Software:
  - Windows 2000 Server (with .Net Framework and IIS)
  - SQL Server 2000

Hardware:
  - Dual PIII 1.X
  - 4GB RAM
  - (4) 36GB SCSI Drives (RAID5 capable)

Currently have (with RAID5):
  - 4GB system partition

With this much RAM should I just turn off virtual memory?  If not,
what should it be set to and where should the page file exist?

I have the remainder of the 4 drives set as one partition (~97GB),
which I plan to create as one volume and format NTFS.  I plan for SQL
Server to use this volume for it's data files.  What should the
allocation unit size for the volume be?  I plan to use 4K blocks for
safety and compatibility with compression.  Will SQL Server use a
larger block size effectively?

I plan to install SQL Server itself on the 4GB system partition.  Any
reasons why this would not be a good idea?

I realize many of these issues are probably raised often.  However, I
am having difficulty locating those of value.  If you have comments I
would appreciate it if you would email me a copy of them.

Thank you for the consideration..
Damon Regan

2. System Time.

3. SQL Server 2000 Mail setup help needed.

4. Where to ask OAS/PL/SQL design questions?

5. HELP! SQL SERVER 2000 personal edition setup problem

6. maximum file-size

7. SQL Server 2000 Personal Setup on Windows 2000

8. Conversion Error on Decimal value using DBLib

9. cannot setup SQL 2000 on win server 2000

10. Setup failed to configure the server (SQL SERVER 2000 )

11. SQL Server 2000 Setup Procedure on Windows Server 2003

12. Setup failed to configure the server (SQL SERVER 2000 )

13. SQL Server 2000 setup on Windows .NET server