Local NT group perms - help!

Post by dere » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:38:17

HELP!

We have a server which contains a local NT group called
SERVER\SQLAccess. In SQL Server this local group has been
given full access and sysadmin rights to all databases. I
have a domain user (lets call his domain username
DOMAIN\jimmy), who has been added to the above local NT
group. This should mean that this user now has full
permissions to all databases, right?

When the user (through Enterprise Manager, using NT
authentication) tries to create a new table on one of the
dbs, he gets the following error:

Unable to create table.
ODBC error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]
Specified owner name 'DOMAIN\jimmy' either does not exist
or you do not have permission to use it.

WHY IS THIS???

**BOL is slightly ambiguous. I have found mention of local
groups created in SQL needing to be called BUILTIN rather
than the server name, also the guest account needing to be
enabled if named pipes is being used, or the fact that the
table will be created under the NT account name and not
the group name - are any of these the reason for this
error???**

Local NT group perms - help!

Post by James Rohma » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:25:36

Are you trying to create a table called dbo.mytable ??
Perhaps specifying the dbo would help?  It should be using that
automatically...

Quote:> HELP!

> We have a server which contains a local NT group called
> SERVER\SQLAccess. In SQL Server this local group has been
> given full access and sysadmin rights to all databases. I
> have a domain user (lets call his domain username
> DOMAIN\jimmy), who has been added to the above local NT
> group. This should mean that this user now has full
> permissions to all databases, right?

> When the user (through Enterprise Manager, using NT
> authentication) tries to create a new table on one of the
> dbs, he gets the following error:

> Unable to create table.
> ODBC error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]
> Specified owner name 'DOMAIN\jimmy' either does not exist
> or you do not have permission to use it.

> WHY IS THIS???

> **BOL is slightly ambiguous. I have found mention of local
> groups created in SQL needing to be called BUILTIN rather
> than the server name, also the guest account needing to be
> enabled if named pipes is being used, or the fact that the
> table will be created under the NT account name and not
> the group name - are any of these the reason for this
> error???**

1. Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

Hello all,

We are moving from our databases NT4/SQLServer7 to W2K/SQLServer2K, on
 new hardware.  In our NT4/SQLServer7 environment we used Local Server
Groups mapped to sql logins for authentication.  In the SQLServer2K
world we would like to use Domain Local Groups mapped to sql logins
for authentication.

Is there a way (anyway - DMO,TSQL, or 3rd party tool) in sqlserver to
either:
1.) Remap the login accounts to NT doamin groups
    - or -
2.) Copy the permissions from one sql login to another sql login

so we do not have to manually repermissions the databases.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Mark Larsen

2. Authentication Mode Problem

3. NT Access to Local Groups w/Global IDs

4. ODBC trouble

5. Renaming Server name - Impact on local NT group Sql IDs

6. Oracle Architecture

7. NT local group as a login in SQL 7.0

8. Quick BCP question

9. security: NT local groups

10. Windows NT group as local login in linked servers

11. NT local group not showing up in Security Manager

12. using windows NT Server Local groups

13. Local Group or Global Group