Can't Connect To Database

Post by Mark » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 05:48:52

I'm just getting into ASP and SQL Server but I'm finding it very difficult
to connect to the database. I've reinstalled SQL Server 3 times trying the
different options; trying to get it to work but no luck. At the moment I
installed SQL Server with a domain account with mixed NT/SQL Server
authentification. Below is the connection string using JScript:

conn.Open("Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=MARKHLAPTOP;Initial
Catalogue=gleeds;UID=sa;PWD=;");

And the error code is:
0x80040E4D

though other times its 0x80004005 (unspecified error)

Anybody any ideas?

Mark

Can't Connect To Database

Post by Mark » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 06:01:35

Ignore the above post. I installed SQL Server so many times I forget I
didn't leave the password blank during the last attempt.

Compared to ODBC and mySQL, SQL Server 2000 seems unnessary complicated to
install. What's considered the best way to install the thing for development
purposes - is it a domain account or local account; mixed authentication or
NT only authentication?

Mark

Quote:> I'm just getting into ASP and SQL Server but I'm finding it very difficult
> to connect to the database. I've reinstalled SQL Server 3 times trying the
> different options; trying to get it to work but no luck. At the moment I
> installed SQL Server with a domain account with mixed NT/SQL Server
> authentification. Below is the connection string using JScript:

> conn.Open("Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=MARKHLAPTOP;Initial
> Catalogue=gleeds;UID=sa;PWD=;");

> And the error code is:
> 0x80040E4D

> though other times its 0x80004005 (unspecified error)

> Anybody any ideas?

> Mark

Can't Connect To Database

Post by - (- » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 07:09:33

For <Development Only>, recommend

Use the Local System account,
Mixed Authentication.

That's the way SQL7 installed...

But, I also recommend that if/when you get close to going live, that
you create an environment that emulates the Production.

TS