MS DW Incremental Updates Question

Post by Jerry Spive » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

How are DW architects approaching automated incremental updates of a data
warehouse from the source OLTP systems for new data in both the fact table
and dimension tables?   Are they using Transactional Replication into an
intermediate database?  Are they utilizing DTS with Lookups?  Are they
utilizing DTS with Data Driven Query tasks?  Or are they utilizing ADO with
variables in Active Scripts?

Does anyone have any instruction, examples or implemenation code they could
share?  This seems to be a very important piece following the construction
of a data warehouse and I'm lacking in supporting information.

Thanks to all who share their expertise

Jerry Spivey
MCT, MCSD, MCSE
ARIS Corporation

MS DW Incremental Updates Question

Post by Christian Donne » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm sorry for starting a new thread, but deja news sometimes does that
to me. Anyways, I am confronted with the same problem. I found some
relatively high-level white papers and articles about that topic, from
people who apparently never implemented a data warehouse. So we decided
to invent something based on common sense and knowledge of our database
... I don't know yet how it is going to look like.

c.

--
Well, I'm sure we can resolve this in a mature
way.  Right, Mr. Poopypants?

1. Using DTS to do incremental updates to DW

Hi,

I'm using DTS to update my data warehouse. The problem I'm having is trying
to use a global variable to control which rows get updated (currently I'm
updating everything). Is there any way to use a global variable as part of a
query expression for the source? What I'd like to do is to specify a query
of this kind as the source:

Select A.C, A.D, A.E
From A
Join B On B.X = A.Y
Where B.UpdateDate > <GLOBAL VARIABLE VALUE HERE>

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Jhovanny

--
"I can resist everything except temptation" (Oscar Wilde)

2. btrieve & SQL

3. Incremental Update in MS OLAP Services via VB

4. EIS replacement study

5. MS OLAP -Problem with incremental update of a dimension

6. Change mail address

7. SCheduling MS OLAP cube incremental update / reprocessing

8. Access Listbox help

9. Incremental Update in MS OLAP Services via VB

10. MS OLAP - Incremental Update

11. Incremental update question

12. DW Special Interest Group Mtg: DW Roles and Responsibilities

13. Components of the MS Framework for DW