Why OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' doesn't support distributed transactions?

Why OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' doesn't support distributed transactions?

Post by ly » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

When I set up a linked server and create a view which references a table on
the linked server, all the operations like: insert, update, delete are
working well. But it will fail if I start execute a 'begin distributed tran'
clause prior of those view operations I have metioned above. The error
message I got is:

Server: Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB'
does not support distributed transactions.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Distributed transaction error]

According to the SQL 7.0, the ole db provider should support the distibuted
transaction.

Any helps are appreciated in advance.

Liang Yu

1. OpenQuery using OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB'

Hi,

I'm trying to populate data in one SQL Server db (TARGET)
using data from another SQL Server (SOURCE).  In the
TARGET server I set up SOURCE server as a linked server, I
have DTC service running.

Here is the code I'm trying to execute (it worked once,
then does work the rest of the time, I'm sure there is no
syntax error):

-- specify database name in TARGET db
Use Guardian

-- declare and set value for variables

-- begin populating reference tables
BEGIN TRANSACTION
print 'working with ApplicationClass table'
-- insert new reference data from BOI1160
INSERT INTO dbo.ApplicationClass
(ApplicationClassID, ApplicationClassName,
ApplicationClassDescription, ActiveFlag)
SELECT ApplicationClassID, ApplicationClassName,

FROM OPENQUERY(BOI1160, 'select * from
Guardian.dbo.ApplicationClass')
-- commit transaction
COMMIT

Here is the error I kept getting:
Server: Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Line 33
The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB
provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed
transaction.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot
enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB'
ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].

I tried shutting down the DTC service, TARGET server,
deleting then adding the linked server, etc, with no
luck.  This worked once yesterday, then refused to work
afterwards.

Please help....

2. Bug ? UDF transfer problem with DMO/DTS

3. Ms Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider doesn't support password in Access97

4. How Can I Copy a SQLServer Diagram to Word?

5. class doesn't support automation or doesn't support expected interface

6. SQL 2000: INSTEAD OF Trigger explaination

7. Problems with Borland C++

8. Error 7399: OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'

9. OLE DB provider 'STREAM' error

10. Microsoft's OLE DB Simple Provider 1.5 Library isn't cutting it :(

11. provider=SQLOLEDB doesn't seem to work with ADO

12. OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' does not contain table 'mytable'