Running SQL Server 7 service under ordinary domain user account

Running SQL Server 7 service under ordinary domain user account

Post by Per Williams » Wed, 14 May 2003 19:43:47

If I want to run the Sql Server service (SQL Server ver. 7) as a
domain user (not as local administrator), will Enterprise Manager do
all the correct settings in the registry and in the files system if
the change of account is made from there?

Apparently this is can be done in SQL Server 2000, according to
security documents on Microsoft Web-site, but what about Sql Server 7.

Anybody tried this in Sql Server 7?

Any help is appreciated!

Per Williamson

Running SQL Server 7 service under ordinary domain user account

Post by Ramalinga Reddy[MS » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:11:39

Check this out
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283811

--
Reddy[MS]
"This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights."

Quote:> If I want to run the Sql Server service (SQL Server ver. 7) as a
> domain user (not as local administrator), will Enterprise Manager do
> all the correct settings in the registry and in the files system if
> the change of account is made from there?

> Apparently this is can be done in SQL Server 2000, according to
> security documents on Microsoft Web-site, but what about Sql Server 7.

> Anybody tried this in Sql Server 7?

> Any help is appreciated!

> Per Williamson

1. Error trying to run jobs using domain user account for SQL Server AGent service

Hi

I have created a domain user lets call it 'SCV_X' put it
in the local administrators group on the computer hosting
the SQL SErver 7.0 (SP3). (It has got the 'Log on as a
service' user rigth). Password doesn't expire and cannot
be changed.

I succeed in starting the SQL Server Agent service using
this account.

But when I try to run jobs defined on the server I get
This in the Error log:

[000] Password verification of the 'SQLAgentCmdExec' proxy
account failed (reason: A required privilege is not held
by the client)

I am able to start/stop the SQLServerAgent service so the
password I entered should be correct - I am right, but
then what is the problem?

Can anybody help?

Thank you

Jakob Persson
Maersk Data AS
Denmark

2. Long Island - Oracle/Sybase on NT and Unix clients

3. Local System Account or Domain Account For SQL Server Service

4. ora816 linux OCI

5. Switch SQL Server Service to domain account ??

6. Inserting rows into Access Database

7. domain user service account offline

8. Odd sum() problem in 7.2.2

9. issues when installing SQL Server 7.0 with regular user account in domain

10. SQL Server service: run under which account?

11. what account should run SQL Server service?

12. SQL Server Running under a User Account

13. Different domain account for each SQL service