Locking Problem: Microsoft Guys please help

Locking Problem: Microsoft Guys please help

Post by Rahul Sharm » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:38:35

We are seeing a weird locking issue.  The application throws back the error
saying that the lock request has timed out but when I see thru the
sysprocesses (in an endless loop so I could capture it whenever that
happens), I don't see any spids in the blocked column.  Am I missing
something ?

How can I find out what is getting blocked and where ?  I have used the
microsoft tech net stored procedure but it does not show anything under the
blocked column at all.  So, if nothing is blocking why are we seeing this
error ?

Thanks

Locking Problem: Microsoft Guys please help

Post by allan » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:27:14

Enable Trace flag 1204 and that will give you the statements leading up to the
locks
also

look at
Troubleshooting Locking

in BOL

Allan

Quote:-----Original Message-----

.

Locking Problem: Microsoft Guys please help

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:27:24

 Rahul - there are various "bugs" that might cause this sort of ghost blocking.
 Most are fixed, so are you running the latest SP for whatever version of SQL
you are using?

 > We are seeing a weird locking issue.  The application throws back the error

Quote:> saying that the lock request has timed out but when I see thru the
> sysprocesses (in an endless loop so I could capture it whenever that
> happens), I don't see any spids in the blocked column.  Am I missing
> something ?

> How can I find out what is getting blocked and where ?  I have used the
> microsoft tech net stored procedure but it does not show anything under the
> blocked column at all.  So, if nothing is blocking why are we seeing this
> error ?

> Thanks

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Locking Problem: Microsoft Guys please help

Post by Reinaldo Kib » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:39:40

Rahul,

You can use some of the great MS KB articles that aid in troubleshooting
Blocking:

I) Articles that will help resolve Blocking occurrences:
I.1) Q224453 INF: Understanding and Resolving SQL Server 7.0 Blocking
Problem
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q224/4/53.asp

I.2) Q251004 INF: How to Monitor SQL Server 7.0 Blocking
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q251/0/04.asp

II) More information: There are a few KB articles that deal with this type
of problem but are very involved.

II.1) Q224587 INF: Troubleshooting Application Performance with SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q224/5/87.asp

II.2) Performance Benchmarks and Guides
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/productinfo/performance.htm

II.3) Q166967 INF: Proper SQL Server Configuration Settings
[sqlserver]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q166/9/67.asp

II.4) For information about memory configuration in SQL Server version 7.0,
please refer to Microsoft Books Online, included with SQL Server version
7.0.

II.5) Q193088  INF: SQL Troubleshooters Available on the Web
 [sqlserver]
Troubleshooter Wizards that help you solve technical problems with
Microsoft products
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q193/0/88.asp

Good luck!
HTH,

Rei

--------------------
| Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:27:24 +0100

| Subject: Re: Locking Problem: Microsoft Guys please help

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
|
|  Rahul - there are various "bugs" that might cause this sort of ghost
blocking.
|  Most are fixed, so are you running the latest SP for whatever version of
SQL
| you are using?
|

|  > We are seeing a weird locking issue.  The application throws back the
error
| > saying that the lock request has timed out but when I see thru the
| > sysprocesses (in an endless loop so I could capture it whenever that
| > happens), I don't see any spids in the blocked column.  Am I missing
| > something ?
| >
| > How can I find out what is getting blocked and where ?  I have used the
| > microsoft tech net stored procedure but it does not show anything under
the
| > blocked column at all.  So, if nothing is blocking why are we seeing
this
| > error ?
| >
| > Thanks
| >

|  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
|  Reply here - no email
|  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
|  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
|  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
|  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
|  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
|  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. Michael The Microsoft guy? Help

Anyone can help I just thought Michael had the best chance by known people
in high places :)

I have  a rather large database that i have to display in a grid the user
had to be able to sort it about 5 different ways..

When using a Dynaset:
  Everytime i changed the order by saying select * from mytable order by
cur_order then the refresh the data control and the grid it would
pause for a long time (13 seconds or so) then display correctly.

I switched to Table type and just change the index value of
the recordset and it is instantanious...

Now i am trying to set a filter on the table and I find out you cant do that
if the recordset is of type table?

Is there any way to filter records from table type recordset??

Thanks in advance.

2. ON MODAL DIALOG BOX

3. Help for Mac/FMP guy having to become a Windows/NT/Unix guy

4. Text won't fit in text box

5. Please help the new guy.

6. Insufficient memory

7. Please Help The New Guy In Calling Oracle Stored Procedure in DTP package

8. How to start?

9. PLEASE GUYS ! SOME HELP FOR ORACLE8

10. Result Sets easy one I need help need Asap Please guys

11. hi guys please help.

12. New guy needs help please.

13. Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Restore Problem.....Please Help.