Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Post by Trevor Benedict » Fri, 31 May 2002 10:55:38

A vendor had tried to install MSDE on a machine running SQL Server 2000
enterprise edition using the default instance name. When they received a warning
they continued with the setup and then cancelled the setup half way. After this
the users started complaining that the SQL Server was not working and then when
I tried to administer the server through the enterprise manager, I got the error
stating that "sqldmo has not been registered, please re-run SQL server setup and
contact your systems administrator.". I rebuilt the registry by running the
setup but when opening the MMC I got an error stating that the snap-in failed to
initalize. So I registered the SQLDMO.Dll as Gert E.R. Drapers had mentioned in
one of the post. This fixed the problem. Now the server is up and running and I
can also administer the Server through the Enterprise Manager, But when I expand
the databse list from Enterprise manager, it refreshes very slowly. This was not
so before. Do anyone of you as to why this behaviour is so and if so how can I
fix this.

TIA

--
Trevor Benedict R
Microsoft Certified Professional

Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Fri, 31 May 2002 23:12:19

Make sure the properties the databases don't have the
autoclose property turned on.

-Sue

On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:55:38 +0800, "Trevor Benedict R"

>A vendor had tried to install MSDE on a machine running SQL Server 2000
>enterprise edition using the default instance name. When they received a warning
>they continued with the setup and then cancelled the setup half way. After this
>the users started complaining that the SQL Server was not working and then when
>I tried to administer the server through the enterprise manager, I got the error
>stating that "sqldmo has not been registered, please re-run SQL server setup and
>contact your systems administrator.". I rebuilt the registry by running the
>setup but when opening the MMC I got an error stating that the snap-in failed to
>initalize. So I registered the SQLDMO.Dll as Gert E.R. Drapers had mentioned in
>one of the post. This fixed the problem. Now the server is up and running and I
>can also administer the Server through the Enterprise Manager, But when I expand
>the databse list from Enterprise manager, it refreshes very slowly. This was not
>so before. Do anyone of you as to why this behaviour is so and if so how can I
>fix this.

>TIA

Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Post by Trevor Benedict » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 18:24:49

I am sorry. I meant the "Databases" node.

Regards
--
Trevor Benedict R
Microsoft Certified Professional

Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Post by Tim Tow, CPA MCS » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 06:37:20

Quote:> Make sure the properties the databases don't have the
> autoclose property turned on.

Hi Sue,

I just got the same problem with SQL Server that Trevor has and haven't
found a solution..

Further details:

My SQL Server had very little in it, so I uninstalled/reinstalled (several
times in fact).   Still *really* slow.  Mine is not only slow opening
database nodes but also doing queries..   For example, "select * from
authors" in the pubs sample database runs  ~6 seconds every time (both
before and after install)..    Wierd thing is; a month ago it ran fine and
something changed since then..

Looking forward to finding a solution to this one (which seems as though it
may be registry thing of some kind; just a hunch)..

Tim Tow
Microsoft MVP (Emeritus) - Excel

Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 22:27:17

Yes, that's what I figured you meant and  if autoclose is
on, expanding that node can be slow. You may also want to
make sure ODBC tracing is turned off. There were several
Enterprise Manager fixes in SP 2 for SQL Server 2000 that
you may want to apply as well.

-Sue

On Fri, 31 May 2002 17:24:49 +0800, "Trevor Benedict R"

>I am sorry. I meant the "Databases" node.

>Regards

Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 22:28:14

Make sure you are running the latest service pack.

-Sue

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:37:20 -0500, "Tim Tow, CPA MCSD"

>> Make sure the properties the databases don't have the
>> autoclose property turned on.

>Hi Sue,

>I just got the same problem with SQL Server that Trevor has and haven't
>found a solution..

>Further details:

>My SQL Server had very little in it, so I uninstalled/reinstalled (several
>times in fact).   Still *really* slow.  Mine is not only slow opening
>database nodes but also doing queries..   For example, "select * from
>authors" in the pubs sample database runs  ~6 seconds every time (both
>before and after install)..    Wierd thing is; a month ago it ran fine and
>something changed since then..

>Looking forward to finding a solution to this one (which seems as though it
>may be registry thing of some kind; just a hunch)..

>Tim Tow
>Microsoft MVP (Emeritus) - Excel

Database Tree expands very slowly in Enterprise Manager (after registry rebuild)

Post by Tim Tow, CPA MCS » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:11:48

Quote:> Make sure you are running the latest service pack.

Hi Sue,

I am running SP3..   After reading your last post to Trevor in this thread,
I realized I had turned SQL Tracing on a few weeks ago around the time the
problem started..   I turned off tracing and performance is back to
'respectable'.

Tim Tow
Applied OLAP, Inc

1. enterprise manager expands very slowly

i have the same problem as the user below ... but I am new
to SQL and would like to know how to do this verify
mentioned! ... Thanks!
Start verifying that you don't have ODBC tracing or
Autoclose database property turned on.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?
oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver

Enterprise Manager(SQL Server 2000
recently). I hope someone can help me:
Expanding any option (especially the
Databases option) is extremely time consuming (but the
process does succeeed nevertheless). I am
using a pentium 2(500 Mhz) with 256 MB RAM and for about a
year I never experienced any such
problem. Does anyone have any clue as to why this is
happening? The CPU usage sometimes even
rise up to 100%. This is not, by the way, a live server;
it is only a pc used for development
work.

2. Do not run on the SQL server7

3. Enterprise manager/SQL 2000 takes a long time to display databases in Console tree

4. Can Trigger call VBScript/COM+ program

5. SQL Connects or Reconnects Very Slowly Using Enterprise manager

6. Updating a Tcursor?

7. SOLUTION 1: can't expand server in enterprise manager

8. from html form textarea to text type field problem

9. can't expand server in enterprise manager

10. SEM 2000 extremely slow to expand database tree

11. Management Tree View in Enterprise Manager 7

12. HELP: Nothing shows up when I expand database in MS SQL Manager