Installing 2000 Personal Edition on W98 workstation

Installing 2000 Personal Edition on W98 workstation

Post by JAR » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello -
I have tried to install Evaluation Editon (Personal edition) on my W98 pc.
Client tools and connectivity works ok, but I cannot enable the installation
of
the database engine? Need a tip from someone.

John

Installing 2000 Personal Edition on W98 workstation

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 04:00:00

John,

I'm fairly certain that you can't. The eval is basically an enterprise edition
(perhaps I should say developer), which cannot run on W9x.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> Hello -
> I have tried to install Evaluation Editon (Personal edition) on my W98 pc.
> Client tools and connectivity works ok, but I cannot enable the installation
> of
> the database engine? Need a tip from someone.

> John

1. installing sql 2000 personal edition on same machine as sql 7 standard edition

As you apparently can't manage an installation of sql server 2000 from the
sql server 7 MMC snap-in (thanks microsoft, couldn't you at least support
compatibility between successive releases), I was wondering if I could
install 2000 personal edition alongside a standard edition of sql server 7
and not cause any problems.  I would then control both instances from the
MMC snap-in for the 2000 personal edition which would be on the sql 7 box.
Anyone done this before?  Please advise.  Thanks.
Regards,
Tore

2. Can't wrap my head around NULL!!!!

3. Installing SQL 2000 personal edition on 2000 pro

4. Open client 11 available

5. Installing SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition

6. Tree Hierarchy with SP_DEPENDS

7. SQL 2000 Personal Edition Install Error

8. Help !!!

9. Installing SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition

10. Install SQL 2000 Personal Edition Error

11. Idiot's Guide To Installing DB2 Personal Developer's Edition for Windows 2000

12. Determining whether SQL 2000 Personal edition is installed from the registry

13. Probelm Installing SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition