SQL 6.5 vs. SQL 7.0 or SQL 2000

Post by Ben Nels » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:55:30

Hello.  Could someone tell me the differences between SQL 6.5 and SQL
7.0 or SQL 2000?  We have an opportunity to get what I believe is a
really good deal on SQL 6.5, but I'd like to know what I'm getting
first.
Thanks.
Ben Nelson

P.S.  We're using MSDE right now, and I would appreciate any tips on
squeezing more performance out of it, because we either have to use it
or Access until we purchase SQL Server.  I originally coded for
Access, but modified it to work with MSDE because I was told it
performed somewhat better than Access...now I'm not so sure.  From a
performance perspective, should I restore the Access code from the
backup, or continue using the MSDE / SQL, Jr. code?

SQL 6.5 vs. SQL 7.0 or SQL 2000

Post by BP Margoli » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 08:27:47

Ben,

The query optimizer in SQL Server 7.0 is vastly superior to the query
optimizer in SQL Server 6.5, and the query optimizer in SQL Server 2000 is
incrementally superior to the one in SQL Server 7.0.

Additionally, there are features available in each of the later versions
that are not available in the earlier versions.

If performance is critical to you, then I would suggest SQL Server 2000. As
an additional factor, you should expect that when Yukon (the internal
Microsoft code name for the next version of SQL Server) is released in 2003,
that Microsoft will stop supporting SQL Server 6.5.

Re: performance of Access vs. MSDE (or SQL Server) ... make sure that you
are comparing apples to apples. If you are benchmarking performance by
timings with a single user, then Access will probably win. But if you need
to support 100 concurrent users, then in all probability SQL Server will
win. Remember that an enterprise level database such as SQL Server has
additional overhead to avoid the database corruption that can happen with
Access. Additional overhead reduces performance, but provides comfort that
the application will be available with a greater level of reliability.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Hello.  Could someone tell me the differences between SQL 6.5 and SQL

Post by <andrew> » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 21:28:40

Quote:> Hello.  Could someone tell me the differences between SQL 6.5 and SQL
> 7.0 or SQL 2000?  We have an opportunity to get what I believe is a
> really good deal on SQL 6.5, but I'd like to know what I'm getting
> first.
> Thanks.
> Ben Nelson

> P.S.  We're using MSDE right now, and I would appreciate any tips on
> squeezing more performance out of it, because we either have to use it
> or Access until we purchase SQL Server.  I originally coded for
> Access, but modified it to work with MSDE because I was told it
> performed somewhat better than Access...now I'm not so sure.  From a
> performance perspective, should I restore the Access code from the
> backup, or continue using the MSDE / SQL, Jr. code?

MSDE engine for Access makes upgrade a lot easier.  Performance wise,
however - msde has a routine in it which causes performance to start to
degrade after 5 users, and start dropoing like a stone, I have heard, after
15-20.  Access is prone to locking problems - but you can support a fair few
users if you have an error routine to retry locked out actions several times
(I've timed 250 at about .25 seconds over a pretty slow network for simple
queries) before throwing an error message.
--
We cannot put off living until we are ready. The most salient characteristic
of life is its coerciveness; it is always urgent, "here and now," without

SQL 6.5 vs. SQL 7.0 or SQL 2000

Post by Ben Nels » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 01:33:42

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know...I think I'll pass on SQL 6.5,
because performance is an issue, and tech support might be.  Since we
are planning on having several hundred users, Access really isn't a
long term option.  I was primarily thinking about performance in terms
of 10-15 users, just as a stop gap measure until we get the full
version of SQL.  We've ordered the 120-day eval of SQL 2000 Enterprise
though, and will purchase it when that expires, so in about 4 days the
Access/MSDE question won't be an issue anymore.
Thanks again,
Ben

> Ben,

> The query optimizer in SQL Server 7.0 is vastly superior to the query
> optimizer in SQL Server 6.5, and the query optimizer in SQL Server 2000 is
> incrementally superior to the one in SQL Server 7.0.

> Additionally, there are features available in each of the later versions
> that are not available in the earlier versions.

> If performance is critical to you, then I would suggest SQL Server 2000. As
> an additional factor, you should expect that when Yukon (the internal
> Microsoft code name for the next version of SQL Server) is released in 2003,
> that Microsoft will stop supporting SQL Server 6.5.

> Re: performance of Access vs. MSDE (or SQL Server) ... make sure that you
> are comparing apples to apples. If you are benchmarking performance by
> timings with a single user, then Access will probably win. But if you need
> to support 100 concurrent users, then in all probability SQL Server will
> win. Remember that an enterprise level database such as SQL Server has
> additional overhead to avoid the database corruption that can happen with
> Access. Additional overhead reduces performance, but provides comfort that
> the application will be available with a greater level of reliability.

> BP Margolin
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
> can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > Hello.  Could someone tell me the differences between SQL 6.5 and SQL
> > 7.0 or SQL 2000?  We have an opportunity to get what I believe is a
> > really good deal on SQL 6.5, but I'd like to know what I'm getting
> > first.
> > Thanks.
> > Ben Nelson

> > P.S.  We're using MSDE right now, and I would appreciate any tips on
> > squeezing more performance out of it, because we either have to use it
> > or Access until we purchase SQL Server.  I originally coded for
> > Access, but modified it to work with MSDE because I was told it
> > performed somewhat better than Access...now I'm not so sure.  From a
> > performance perspective, should I restore the Access code from the
> > backup, or continue using the MSDE / SQL, Jr. code?

1. 7.0 SQL Clients on Windows 2000 Workstations using 6.5 SQL Server

Hey folks.  I am deploying Windows 2000 Professional and we currently have a 6.5
SQL Server running on a Windows NT 4.0 Server.  The 6.5 Client that we have now
cannot be installed on Windows 2000 Professional Workstation. If we put the 7.0
Client on the Windows 2000 workstation, Can we use the 6.5 Database on the
Windows 4.0 Server?  Or do we HAVE to upgrade the 6.5 Database to 7.0.
Thanks,  Glenn

2. Database futures panel discussion: Rick Cattell, Don Chamberlin, Daniela Florescu, Jim Gray, Jim Melton (April 23, San Jose)

3. SQL Server 6.5 Vs SQL Server 2000

4. Sysmenu features in distributed apps

5. sql server 6.5 vs sql server 2000

6. How do I read an excel file into sql 6.5 table

7. replication between SQL 6.5 and SQL 7.0/2000

8. Stored Procedure Mutex - HOW?

9. SQL-92 outer join vs T-SQL outer join (6.5 or 7.0) - test script included

10. SQL 6.5 vs SQL 7.0

11. SQL 7.0 vs SQL 6.5

12. Difference of Date field on SQL 6.5 vs SQL 7.0

13. SQL 6.5 DB Restoring vs SQL 7.0 DB Restoring