Failed to start SQL Mail session. Check the errorlog file in the SQL Server directory for details

Failed to start SQL Mail session. Check the errorlog file in the SQL Server directory for details

Post by T Szido » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Starting mail from either SQL Enterprise manager or by using 'xp_startmail'
causes this error:

Server: Msg 17952, Level 18, State 1, Line 0
Failed to start SQL Mail session. Check the errorlog file in the SQL Server
directory for details.

[000] Password verification of the 'SQLAgentCmdExec' proxy account failed
(reason: A required privilege is not held by the client)

I have gone into the SQL Agent properties and 'reset proxy account' and
'reset proxy login'.

I have added a domain user for the SQL Agent and given that login Admin
rights and Login as Service rights.

Why am I getting this error message? I can find nothing in SQL Books on Line
or in the MSDN Library.

TIA
Tom Szidon

Failed to start SQL Mail session. Check the errorlog file in the SQL Server directory for details

Post by Wayne Snyde » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Try to make the proxy account a member of the local administrators group and
see if that helps..

--
Wayne Snyder MCSE, MCT, SQL Server MVP
IKON Technology Services, C*te, NC Education

Quote:

> Starting mail from either SQL Enterprise manager or by using
'xp_startmail'
> causes this error:

> Server: Msg 17952, Level 18, State 1, Line 0
> Failed to start SQL Mail session. Check the errorlog file in the SQL
Server
> directory for details.

> [000] Password verification of the 'SQLAgentCmdExec' proxy account failed
> (reason: A required privilege is not held by the client)

> I have gone into the SQL Agent properties and 'reset proxy account' and
> 'reset proxy login'.

> I have added a domain user for the SQL Agent and given that login Admin
> rights and Login as Service rights.

> Why am I getting this error message? I can find nothing in SQL Books on
Line
> or in the MSDN Library.

> TIA
> Tom Szidon

1. SQL Mail - Failed to start SQL Mail session

Hi,

I have followed the previous threads on the subject and can't get SQL Mail
to work with an Outlook Internet service on the same machine.  (I haven't
got it to work with anything else either, as Internet mail is all I have :-)

I am set up like this (names changed to protect the guilty).

Logged into NT 4. as "adminguy" with password "adminpass".
SQL Server configured for "NT Security".
"Profile Name" in Outlook "adminguy".
The "adminguy" Outlook profile has only the "Internet mail" Service.
"adminguy's" Internet mail is working and he is able to send and receive
mail and I've left Outlook open!

In the SQL Setup, I provide the "Profile Name" of "adminguy".

The documentation shows other fields including password, etc., but with SQL
Server 6.5, I can't find these - only "profile name".

Now when I try to start the service, I get the following error in the log:

98/03/24 15:56:36.02 ods      MAPI login failure.
98/03/24 15:56:36.02 ods      Error : 17951, Severity: 18, State: 1
98/03/24 15:56:36.02 ods      Failed to start SQL Mail session.

Where have I gone wrong? Help please.

Many thanks,

Monu

2. CAN ANYONE HELP?...returning 2 recordsets to VB in one stored proc call through ADO

3. Failed to start SQL Mail session?

4. Help, Big problem

5. Failed to start SQL Mail session

6. GA-Alpharetta-93531--Client/Server-Customer Support-HP-HP-UX-Networking-TCP/IP-Systems Analyst

7. Error 17952 Failed to Start SQL Mail Session

8. plsql package to return pages via http

9. Error 17952: Failed to start SQL Mail Session - HELP PLEASE

10. SQL Mail test fails with MAPILogonEx error, SQL Mail starts only when Outlook open

11. Configuring SQL Server 6.0 to Start Microsoft Mail Session

12. Unable to start mail session in SQL Server 7

13. failed to start mail session