spotlight on sql server

Post by Peter Feakin » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Is anyone using Quest software's Spotlight on SQL Server? I'm evaluating
the product now and I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.

thanks
Peter

spotlight on sql server

Post by John Corte » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Peter,

I have tried Spot Light on SQL Server and I have found this product to be
full of bugs. Granted, I was evaluating the early version and there probably
is a newer one now. Every minute or so I would get connection errors, and
this would on occasion require a restart of the software. Spot Light also
writes data to your database that you are running it in. So don't do like I
did when I first set it up. I initially set up the software in my production
database in TEST unaware that it would add all kinds of objects and
permissions to my database. Spot Light should be ran with it's own database
and allowed to monitor other databases in question.

A better product that I am now looking at is SQL Probe. This product can be
downloaded from http://www.sqlprobe.com .As far as I can tell, this product
doesn't add anything to any database and it appears for now to be working
without a flaw.

Quote:> Is anyone using Quest software's Spotlight on SQL Server? I'm evaluating
> the product now and I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.

> thanks
> Peter

spotlight on sql server

Post by captai.. » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

We just got Spotlight over here, and I didn't notice it writing any
information to my databases.  I installed it on my desktop and didn't
have any problems with disconnects.  I don't find it to provide any
more information then Perf Mon does.  It's basically a nicer looking
interface.  Patrol by BMC, and SQL Probe are other products which seems
pretty good.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

spotlight on sql server

Post by David Woo » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I also installed the demo, and selected a prod db to use, and like the
database.  I also had a hell of a time getting rid of one table that
would magically reappear by itself after I had dropped it.  Took 2
weeks of emails to finally get a solution from one of their engineers,
but finally it is all cleared up.

> We just got Spotlight over here, and I didn't notice it writing any
> information to my databases.  I installed it on my desktop and didn't
> have any problems with disconnects.  I don't find it to provide any
> more information then Perf Mon does.  It's basically a nicer looking
> interface.  Patrol by BMC, and SQL Probe are other products which
seems
> pretty good.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Problem connecting one SQL Server server to another SQL Server server

My objective is to make a trigger that does the following:

I have two SQL Server 2k servers, A and B. On each I have a database, lets
call the one on A as X and the one on B as Y. My objective is, whenever I
insert data into table X, a trigger is fired that deletes the old data in
table Y and populates it with the same data in X. I have the SQL script and
I know how to make triggers. I've tested it with two different databases in
the same server, but I cannot do it with two different databases in two
different servers. When I try to make the trigger, I come across the
following error:

Error 18456: 'Login failed for users NT Authority\Anonymous Logon'.

To over come this, I just ran a stored procedure sp_grantlogin for NT
Authority\Anonymous Logon, and it didn't throw that error anymore. But, it
gives another error, shown below:

Error 7314: OLE DB provider [servername 'B'] does not contain table "Y". The
table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on
that table.

I looked it up in the MS Knowledge base and found that it has something to
do with lowercase letters and service packs. Well, I tried changing the
table name to all Upper Case, but no success.

Any suggestions????

PR

2. Error message

3. SQL Server 7.0 on NT Server to SQL Server 7.0 on win2k Pro

4. Error 10025

5. US-TX-DFW SQL SERVER DBA - SQL SERVER DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR - SQL DBA

6. getdate() # system date

7. MS Access 97 SQL to MS SQL SQL SQL SQL

8. Subscribe Multi Publications

9. SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000

10. Upgrading sql server 6.5 to sql server 2000

11. Replication BT SQL SERVER in DMZ and SQL SERVER on LAN

12. SQL Server 7/Win NT Vs SQL Server 2000/Win2K : multi-processors management

13. Sybase SQL Server -> MS SQL Server