SQL 6.5 and IIS 4.0 ODBC timeout

Post by Fox » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
I have my IIS 4.0 server trying to log to my sql 6.5 sp4 server via ODBC.
The NT event log has indicated than it isn't working becuase of an ODBC
timeout from the IIS server.  Note, sql and iis are on the same PC.  I have
checked;
1. Tested connection with MS Query--it works
2. Tried to ODBC PING the server--it didn't find the server (I found this
strange)
3. Made sure I was using Standard Security
4. Made sure network support was both Multi and Pipes, then tried just
Pipes, neither worked.
5. When to Client Config. Utility and tried default network of Pipes and
then Multi, neither worked.
Does anyone have an idea on this?
Any help is appreciated,
Glenn

SQL 6.5 and IIS 4.0 ODBC timeout

Post by Brian Lalond » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Newer versions of ODBC (MDAC?) allow you to test
the DSN from within the ODBC DSN setup applet, I
would first try that.

I would also suggest using iODBC, a command-line
ODBC utility that works just like isql, instead
of ODBC PING.  You can get that at
http://www.firstsql.com/iodbc/

The third (and messiest/most time consuming) thing
to test is the permissions of the account IIS4 is
using to attempt to access the database.  Check
your event log (assuming you have set bad logins
to be logged in the User Manager), check the SQL
Server Error Log, and try changing the IIS4
Anonymous Login Account (Dir Security: Anon Access/
Auth Control: Edit Anon Access: Browse) to
your user account (if you have been able to
interactively access the db through ODBC).
That should let you know if you need to examine
the NTFS permissions of your %SystemRoot% (you
must have at least Read access to the DLLs
ODBC uses), or if you need to allow the Anon
account to "Access This Computer Over The Network",
etc.

Just a few ideas, hope they help...

--
Brian Lalonde
Web Developer

1. SQL 6.5 and IIS 4.0 ODBC timeout

Hello,
I have my IIS 4.0 server trying to log to my sql 6.5 sp4 server via ODBC.
The NT event log has indicated than it isn't working becuase of an ODBC
timeout from the IIS server.  Note, sql and iis are on the same PC.  I have
checked;
1. Tested connection with MS Query--it works
2. Tried to ODBC PING the server--it didn't find the server (I found this
strange)
3. Made sure I was using Standard Security
4. Made sure network support was both Multi and Pipes, then tried just
Pipes, neither worked.
5. When to Client Config. Utility and tried default network of Pipes and
then Multi, neither worked.
Does anyone have an idea on this?
Any help is appreciated,
Glenn

2. table relationship

3. SQL 6.5 and IIS 4.0 odbc timeout

4. varchar(2) use

5. SQL 6.5 and IIS 4.0 Timeout

6. MSDE scheduled backup on NT Server: is it possible?

7. IIS 4.0/ODBC/SQL 6.5/ASP with ADO Security Problem

8. Nested iifs in calculated member

9. Korean character garbaged in SQL 6.5 + IIS 4.0 + IE 4.01

10. Indexing SQL 6.5 database for IIS 4.0

11. Temporary Tables in SQL 6.5 & IIS 4.0

12. IIS 2.0 V. 4.0 + ISAPI-DLL + MS SQL 6.5

13. vb3 + odbc + SQL 6.5 = ODBC Timeout