Upgrading SQL 7 120 DAy Evaluation version to full product

Upgrading SQL 7 120 DAy Evaluation version to full product

Post by Johnny Goetschalck » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm running SQL7 120 Day Evaluation version and I would like to upgrade
to the the full prodcut. When I run setup the installation checks for
existing components and finds SQL7 installed completely but does not
recognise it as an evaluation version. Therefore I can not upgrade or
reinstall. It seems dat uninstalling then re-installing en restoring the
databases is my only option or ..... does anyone has another idea?

Upgrading SQL 7 120 DAy Evaluation version to full product

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Johnny,

Quote:> I'm running SQL7 120 Day Evaluation version and I would like to upgrade
> to the the full prodcut. When I run setup the installation checks for
> existing components and finds SQL7 installed completely but does not
> recognise it as an evaluation version. Therefore I can not upgrade or
> reinstall. It seems dat uninstalling then re-installing en restoring the
> databases is my only option or ..... does anyone has another idea?

Q.     How can I upgrade the 120-day evaluation version to the full SQL
version?
(v1.3  1999.06.16)

A. For SQL 6.5 :-

1.  One method would be to backup the databases, un-install SQL, re-install SQL
and then load the databases again.

2.  A faster method is :-

   (a)  Backup your databases first (just in case)

   (b)  Copy over all the .dll's and .exe's from the full version, over the top
of the evaluation version.

   (c)  Then from the <sql>\binn directory run the following, making sure the
case is correct

       setup /t RegistryRebuild = On

   (d)  The setup routine will now run and ask you all the normal questions.
Answer these as you did for the 120-day eval version (putting in the same paths
etc.) and it will just update all the registry entries/icons etc.  It will
leave the databases alone.

For SQL 7.0 :-

(a)  Detach your user databases (sp_detach_db)
(b)  Create a script file for all logins
(c)  Backup all user database files - *.mdf/*.ndf/*.ldf
(d)  Un-install SQL Server eval
(e)  Install retail copy of SQL Server
(f)  Run script to create logins
(g)  If user databases were deleted by un-install then restore from backup
(h)  Attach user databases (sp_attach_db)

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Upgrading SQL 7 120 DAy Evaluation version to full product

Post by Fabio GRAND » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

This is an old Neil Pike's reply to the same question :

[...]

hope it helps

Fabio

Quote:> I'm running SQL7 120 Day Evaluation version and I would like to upgrade
> to the the full prodcut. When I run setup the installation checks for
> existing components and finds SQL7 installed completely but does not
> recognise it as an evaluation version. Therefore I can not upgrade or
> reinstall. It seems dat uninstalling then re-installing en restoring the
> databases is my only option or ..... does anyone has another idea?

1. Upgrading SQL7 120 Day Evaluation to full product...

I'm running SQL7 120 Day Evaluation version and I would like to upgrade
to the the full prodcut. When I run setup the installation checks for
existing components and finds SQL7 installed completely but does not
recognise it as an evaluation version. Therefore I can not upgrade or
reinstall. It seems dat uninstalling then re-installing en restoring the
databases is my only option or ..... does anyone has another idea?

2. Do I NEED to Close a Paradox table before Exiting App?

3. full text indexing with 120 day evaluation version sql 2000

4. viewing a database property from MS-Access?

5. How to upgrade from 120-day eval to full version of SQL 6.5

6. Upgrading problems..Help!!

7. Upgrading from 120-day Eval to Full Version of 6.5

8. don't buy PDOX Win 1.0

9. Need Product ID for SQL Server 7.0 120-Day Evaluation

10. SQL Server 2000 120-days Evaluation Version

11. How to Switch SQL 7.0 120 Day Trial into a full Version

12. 120-day evaluation version

13. How to install full version of 6.5 over 120 day Eval - urgent