load file format for hierarchical data stores?

load file format for hierarchical data stores?

Post by B McDonal » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:53:37

Hi. Can someone tell me if there is a standard loadfile format for
representing text data that is to be imported into a hierarchical database?
You know, one that a script would process and that would have the
parent-child relationships hard-coded in the format of the load file?

Something like:

Nancy
 | Janet
 |  | Andrew
 |  |  | Steven
 |  |  | Michael
 |  | Robert
 |  |  | David
 |  |  |  | James
 |  |  | Ron
 |  |  |  | Sean
 |  |  | Dan
 |  | Laura
 |  | Ann
 | Margaret
 |  | Ina

Thanks.

Brian

1. Storing hierarchical data in a RDBMS

Can somone point me to information regarding the storage of hierarchical
data in a RDBMS?  For example, the storage of a hierarchical product
description data or bill of materials data.

Without special techniques this type of data requires the use of
recursive navigation of the data.  This type of navigation is slow and
hard to do with a RDBMS.  A special technique, we are researching,
involves creating index tables.  However these index tables have the
potential of being quite large.  We are interested in finding
information about other possible approaches.

MikeB

--
Michael J. Bresnahan, York & Associates, (612)-831-0077 (York),

2. onstat -g sql

4. Conversion to Paradox

5. dumb [?] Fixed Format ASCII File Load

6. SQL-Mail

7. Oracle8 SQL*Loader - Problem loading fixed format files with no line termination characters

8. informix mirroring

9. timestamp format for delimited file Loads

10. trouble with bcp and fixed format load files

11. Down load Oracle 8i standard verion from ftp.oracle.com, File is not Zip format

12. ASCII - EBCDIC Format Conversion while Loading Data

13. HELP : Loading XML-formatted data into Oracle Server