all of a sudden, user can't add new records

all of a sudden, user can't add new records

Post by Les Caud » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

With SQL Server 6.5, all of a sudden, user can't add new records (at
least the larger records).  He can add some smaller records.

Is there some SQL Server maintenance that needs to be performed - some
file structure that has become too full?  I have it set to truncate
the logs on checkpoint.

I show that there is 'data space available' of 16 MB when I open the
'Edit'  database windows (where one can expand and shrink).
--

all of a sudden, user can't add new records

Post by Richard Waymir » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

What kind of error message are they receiving?  Are they exceeding the 1962
byte limit for a row?
--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE, MVP (SQLServer)
Principal Engineer, ARIS Corp.

> With SQL Server 6.5, all of a sudden, user can't add new records (at
> least the larger records).  He can add some smaller records.

> Is there some SQL Server maintenance that needs to be performed - some
> file structure that has become too full?  I have it set to truncate
> the logs on checkpoint.

> I show that there is 'data space available' of 16 MB when I open the
> 'Edit'  database windows (where one can expand and shrink).
> --

1. Multi-user: clientA can't see new records added by clientB

Here's the setup:
Using VB6 Enterprise and SQL 2000 db

In DataEnvironment:
cmdFirm links to tblFirm (Parent)
     cmdContact links to tblContact (Child)

Each Firm can have many Contacts.

Firm records are displayed 1 at a time, with nav buttons to move
through the recordset.  For each firm, Contacts are displayed in a
DataGrid where DataSource = DataEnvironment1, and DataMember =
cmdContact.

When clientA makes changes to existing Contact(s), or deletes a
contact, clientB can see those changes using a Refresh button whose
code is:

    Dim rsContact As Recordset
    Set rsContact = DataEnvironment1.rscmdFirm.Fields("cmdContact").Value
    DataEnvironment1.rscmdFirm.Resync adAffectAllChapters
    rsContact.Resync adAffectAllChapters
    DataEnvironment1.rscmdFirm.MoveNext
    DataEnvironment1.rscmdFirm.MovePrevious

Here's the problem - if clientA adds a NEW contact, clientB cannot see
it until he closes then restarts the application.  The problem, I
would think, has to do with the cursor - it doesn't contain the new
record.  How do I make that happen?

I have tried everything - .resync, .refresh, .rebind (for the
DataGrid), anything I can think of.  Nothing works.  Please help!

BTW, I am using a Client-side cursor.  However, I tried using a
server-side, dynamic cursor, and found no difference in functionality.

Thanks in advance,

Russ

2. questions concerning cursors and 'showplan' setting

3. ADO2.5, can't add new record to an empty table using record binding

4. Update Statistic

5. adding new records & new record

6. DTS: Incorrect Collating Sequence - SQL2000 <--> Paradox 4 (International Sort)

7. Notification of new record added to table by another user

8. Views on Views

9. Adding new user id and passwords to Access db's from Delphi

10. Can't add new records to access tables moved to SQL Server

11. Can't add new record

12. Can't add new records to access tables moved to SQL Server

13. INSERT not working - can't add new record - no error