How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

hi, maybe someone can help me please

How to return my  database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5 , I didn't
back up the database but only the file like : Indo.dat ... How i can return
it correctly without changing what have i setup in Indo.dat before

Thank's
Edy Susanto

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Edy,

Quote:> Subject: How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Q.     How can I recover a SQL Server database when all I have left is the
original .DAT devices or files?
(v1.2  1999.07.27)

A. For SQL 6.5 and below use the DISK REINIT and REFIT commands.  These are
documented in the Books-Online.

For SQL 7.0 use the sp_attach_db sp - also documented in the books online.

An alternative for SQL 6.5 is below :-

 Stop SQL Server
 Backup/copy original .dat files
 Start SQL Server.
 Drop any databases and devices you want to recover
 Create new devices/databases the right size and in the right order.
 Stop SQL Server.
 Copy the original .dat files over the newly re-created ones.
 Start SQL Server.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi Neil
I already try the solution you give it to me but when i running DISK REFIT
commands the system ask for running SQL SERVER in single user mode.
I have followed the step of procedure but when i try to running SQL SERVER
from MSDOS prompt the error is found :

Launched startup procedure "sp_sqlregister"
Error : 17832, Severity : 18, State : 0
unable to read login packet(s)

but when i try using SQL Service Manager it's working good.
Maybe you can give me a idea for that....

For recover Database you mean that all tables and views will working after i
running disk reinit and disk refit

regards
Edy

> Edy,

> > Subject: How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

> Q.     How can I recover a SQL Server database when all I have left is the
> original .DAT devices or files?
> (v1.2  1999.07.27)

> A. For SQL 6.5 and below use the DISK REINIT and REFIT commands.  These
are
> documented in the Books-Online.

> For SQL 7.0 use the sp_attach_db sp - also documented in the books online.

> An alternative for SQL 6.5 is below :-

>  Stop SQL Server
>  Backup/copy original .dat files
>  Start SQL Server.
>  Drop any databases and devices you want to recover
>  Create new devices/databases the right size and in the right order.
>  Stop SQL Server.
>  Copy the original .dat files over the newly re-created ones.
>  Start SQL Server.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
>  or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
>  or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Edy,

Quote:> I already try the solution you give it to me but when i running DISK REFIT
> commands the system ask for running SQL SERVER in single user mode.
> I have followed the step of procedure but when i try to running SQL SERVER
> from MSDOS prompt the error is found :

> Launched startup procedure "sp_sqlregister"
> Error : 17832, Severity : 18, State : 0
> unable to read login packet(s)

 That's probably SQL Executive trying to connect.  Ignore it.  Connect yourself
with ISQLW

Quote:> For recover Database you mean that all tables and views will working after i
> running disk reinit and disk refit

 Yes

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

hi, Neil
i still found error when running DISK REFIT
the error message is :

Warning: Disk Refit may not have the correct segment map information in
Sysusages.  Please review these after the command completes to verify their
accuracy.

Error : 806, Severity: 21, State: 1
Could not find virtual page for logical page 58573  in database 'Indoward'

maybe you can give me the solution about that

regards
Edy

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Edy - that means you haven't put the correct parameters in.  You need to get
the segment info correct for sysusages

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

How to find the segment info for sysusages because i only have the file
(Indo.dat) and i don't know how find it from that file.

regards
Edy

> Edy - that means you haven't put the correct parameters in.  You need to
get
> the segment info correct for sysusages

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
>  or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
>  or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Edy - unfortunately you can't.  Do you have a backup of master?

Quote:> How to find the segment info for sysusages because i only have the file
> (Indo.dat) and i don't know how find it from that file.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi Neil,
I already solve the problem.
I try to update master.sysdatabases with status = -32768 for emergency mode.
After that i change again with status = 0 for normal mode and it's working

I try to get the table and views from Access and after that i build a new
databases again and
i transfer it again. And it's work at last.
Thank's for help

regards,
Edy Susanto

> Edy - unfortunately you can't.  Do you have a backup of master?

> > How to find the segment info for sysusages because i only have the file
> > (Indo.dat) and i don't know how find it from that file.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
>  or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
>  or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Edy - make sure you do a dbcc newalloc/checkdb on it to make sure that all is
ok internally

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

How to return my database back after i reinstall SQL SERVER 6.5

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

i have checked it and it's fine....
thank's a lot
Edy