can SQL name be DIFFERENT to computer name?

can SQL name be DIFFERENT to computer name?

Post by Gareth Hol » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

We have an established remote server, which acts as a internet mail,
live web and ftp server.
This server's machine name begins with a numeric. e.g. 1comp.
SQL server has installed upon this, but we have since learnt that
numerics are not suitable
for the first char of the server name.
We are now finding on using SQL that a number of features are not
functioning.

To rename the server would mean disruption of the live server for
anything up to a few hours (so I have
been advised). We can't do this.

Is it possible somehow to have SQL server working correctly on this
machine as it's name stands? e.g.
can we name SQL Server differently?

Please help!

can SQL name be DIFFERENT to computer name?

Post by Joe Moyl » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

When I have had to rename a computer it was very easy.  I just added a new
server to the domain with the new name.  I then opened up the network applet
in control panel on the server I was renaming and renamed the server.
Reboot.  Remove the old name from the domain.  If the old name is being
referenced in scripts, software, ODBC DSN, or whatever they will need to be
updated.  The server was unavailable for less than 10 minutes.

--
Joe Moyle

Quote:>To rename the server would mean disruption of the live server for