error 1105, probably simple.

Post by Mark Edward » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm covering on a site that has SQL 6.5 (I'm very new to SQL) running a
Great Plains Dynamics Accounts database.

I've read as much documentation that I can get my hands on which has been
mostly online, but it seems to mostly concern the inital setup of SQL and
not the daily maintenance and care of the databases.

I'm getting this error in the NT Application Log and a variation with
different objects.

Error : 1105, Severity: 17, State: 1
Can't allocate space for object 'GL10001' in database 'PLAY' because the
'default' segment is full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the
transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to
increase the size of the segment.

The database size is 225Mb is with approx 20Mb free space according to SQL
Enterprise manager, the log is on it's own device and is 100Mb with 99.97Mb
free space.

Could anyone explain what the '"default" segment' is that is referenced in
the error?

Is it simply a case of expanding the database? The main person responsible
for the input of data seems to think that the database size occupied is
much greater (200Mb) than the data that has been input (4 mnths of data),
which used to occupy alot less space on the old system (Approx 3Mb).

Also can anyone explain how to check to see where a transaction log is
actually stored.
Separate devices have been created for the logs but I cannot see that the
devices are actually being used.

Thanks for any help

Mark Edwards

Please reply only to the group when replying.

error 1105, probably simple.

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Mark,

Se inline comments:

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:>Hi,

>I'm covering on a site that has SQL 6.5 (I'm very new to SQL) running a
>Great Plains Dynamics Accounts database.

>I've read as much documentation that I can get my hands on which has been
>mostly online, but it seems to mostly concern the inital setup of SQL and
>not the daily maintenance and care of the databases.

Strong recommendation: Make sure that you read the backup and restore
chapter(s).

Quote:

>I'm getting this error in the NT Application Log and a variation with
>different objects.

>Error : 1105, Severity: 17, State: 1
>Can't allocate space for object 'GL10001' in database 'PLAY' because the
>'default' segment is full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the
>transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to
>increase the size of the segment.

>The database size is 225Mb is with approx 20Mb free space according to SQL
>Enterprise manager, the log is on it's own device and is 100Mb with 99.97Mb
>free space.

Do not trust EM for space usage reporing. It draws its info from a
systemtable (sysindexes). This does not neccesarily reflect reality. DBCC
UPDATEUSAGE refreshes the info in sysindexes (not for log, though, DBCC
CHECKDB...).
EM is buggy otherwise as well, in this context. You might find sp_spaceused
helpful.

Quote:

>Could anyone explain what the '"default" segment' is that is referenced in
>the error?

The default segment is where all the user tables are placed (it is your
'data'). So, you are out of data space.

Quote:

>Is it simply a case of expanding the database? The main person responsible
>for the input of data seems to think that the database size occupied is
>much greater (200Mb) than the data that has been input (4 mnths of data),
>which used to occupy alot less space on the old system (Approx 3Mb).

Expand (or identify) an device, so you have free space on it. ALTER the
database to grow on that device.

Quote:

>Also can anyone explain how to check to see where a transaction log is
>actually stored.

USE dbname
sp_helpdb dbname
GO

Quote:>Separate devices have been created for the logs but I cannot see that the
>devices are actually being used.

>Thanks for any help

>Mark Edwards

>Please reply only to the group when replying.

error 1105, probably simple.

Post by Akhil-New » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Default segment  for       DATA
Log segment for              LOG

Quote:>Hi,

>I'm covering on a site that has SQL 6.5 (I'm very new to SQL) running a
>Great Plains Dynamics Accounts database.

>I've read as much documentation that I can get my hands on which has been
>mostly online, but it seems to mostly concern the inital setup of SQL and
>not the daily maintenance and care of the databases.

>I'm getting this error in the NT Application Log and a variation with
>different objects.

>Error : 1105, Severity: 17, State: 1
>Can't allocate space for object 'GL10001' in database 'PLAY' because the
>'default' segment is full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the
>transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to
>increase the size of the segment.

>The database size is 225Mb is with approx 20Mb free space according to SQL
>Enterprise manager, the log is on it's own device and is 100Mb with 99.97Mb
>free space.

>Could anyone explain what the '"default" segment' is that is referenced in
>the error?

>Is it simply a case of expanding the database? The main person responsible
>for the input of data seems to think that the database size occupied is
>much greater (200Mb) than the data that has been input (4 mnths of data),
>which used to occupy alot less space on the old system (Approx 3Mb).

>Also can anyone explain how to check to see where a transaction log is
>actually stored.
>Separate devices have been created for the logs but I cannot see that the
>devices are actually being used.

>Thanks for any help

>Mark Edwards

>Please reply only to the group when replying.

1. SQL 7 Error Message: Error: 1105, Severity : 17, State 2

I received the following error message on a SQL 7 system:

 Error: 1105, Severity : 17, State 2
  Can't allocate space for object '%.*s' in database '%.*s' because
the
  '%.*s' segment is full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the
  transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment
  increase the size of the segment.

I know this could happen on SQL 6.5, see Technet Article #Q152354, PSS
ID Number: Q152354, Article last modified on 02-14-2001.

My concern is that I'm seeing this on a SQL 7 database.  Is this still
a problem with SQL 7?  Is there a stored procedure I need to create
and execute to take care of this issue as this is a recurring problem
and just expanding the database/log does not fix this permanently.

Thanks-Derrick

2. sybase linux: no server start on boot ??

3. Tempdb error 1105

4. sql query help please!

5. AnyBody help for Error 1105!

6. US-NY: New York-Oracle/Unix developer

7. Error 1105 and tempDB system segment

8. Error 'Type Mismatch' in use of AddNew (Access 1.x and VB 3.0 prof)

9. Error 1105

10. restricting file growth & 1105 errors

11. Error 1105

12. Q: Error 1105 tempdb is full

13. sqlserver 6.5 error 1105