ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5

ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5

Post by Peter Broughto » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00



I am using Access97 running on NT and on Win95 to query a SQL server V6.5
database and the queries time out after 60 seconds giving the message
'[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired [#0]'.
I have tried increasing the
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Jet\3.5\Engines\ODBC\QueryTimeout
registry key but this has made no difference. I have also tried increasing
the Access QueryTimeout property using an Access subroutine but the queries
still time out after 60 seconds but this doesn't work either.
Any suggestions?

 
 
 

ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5

Post by John Davi » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00


I have encoutnered the same problem without a solution.  The timeout seems
to be related to table size.  The same query works for a 500K row table,
but not for a 750K row table.

However, the same query does work in ISQ_w for tables greater than 750K
rows.
johnd



Quote:> I am using Access97 running on NT and on Win95 to query a SQL server V6.5
> database and the queries time out after 60 seconds giving the message
> '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired [#0]'.
> I have tried increasing the
> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Jet\3.5\Engines\ODBC\QueryTimeout
> registry key but this has made no difference. I have also tried
increasing
> the Access QueryTimeout property using an Access subroutine but the
queries
> still time out after 60 seconds but this doesn't work either.
> Any suggestions?


 
 
 

ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5

Post by Peter Broughto » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Thanks for your reply - at least I'm not going mad! The same queries do
work using ISQ_w. The table size does seem to be important (I'm currently
trying to query 350K - less than you quote) but this may be related to the
time taken to bring back the first row of results.



Quote:> I have encoutnered the same problem without a solution.  The timeout
seems
> to be related to table size.  The same query works for a 500K row table,
> but not for a 750K row table.

> However, the same query does work in ISQ_w for tables greater than 750K
> rows.
> johnd

 
 
 

ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5

Post by Michael D. Beyno » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Please let me know if you find a solution to this problem.  I also
posted a similar request on microsoft.public.access.odbclientsvr.

thanks,
john davis


> Thanks for your reply - at least I'm not going mad! The same queries
> do
> work using ISQ_w. The table size does seem to be important (I'm
> currently
> trying to query 350K - less than you quote) but this may be related to
> the
> time taken to bring back the first row of results.



> > I have encoutnered the same problem without a solution.  The timeout

> seems
> > to be related to table size.  The same query works for a 500K row
> table,
> > but not for a 750K row table.

> > However, the same query does work in ISQ_w for tables greater than
> 750K
> > rows.
> > johnd

 
 
 

ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5

Post by Niklas Andersso » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00


If somebody has a solotion to this problem, please let me know to.

Niklas Andersson, Tuben Teknik AB


> I am using Access97 running on NT and on Win95 to query a SQL server
> V6.5
> database and the queries time out after 60 seconds giving the message
> '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired [#0]'.
> I have tried increasing the
> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Softwar
> \Microsoft\Jet\3.5\Engines\ODBC\QueryTimeout
> registry key but this has made no difference. I have also tried
> increasing
> the Access QueryTimeout property using an Access subroutine but the
> queries
> still time out after 60 seconds but this doesn't work either.
> Any suggestions?

 
 
 

ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5

Post by Michael Lync » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00


search Access help for:  QueryTimeout Property

You can adjust a registry setting for the timeout (makes it the Access
default when used from the Database container, or just opening a
table).  If using VBA you can set the database or Connection timeout
individually for all accesses using the database/connection.  You can
also specify individual query timeouts for all pass through queries.

Good luck,

Mike


>If somebody has a solotion to this problem, please let me know to.

>Niklas Andersson, Tuben Teknik AB


>> I am using Access97 running on NT and on Win95 to query a SQL server
>> V6.5
>> database and the queries time out after 60 seconds giving the message
>> '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired [#0]'.
>> I have tried increasing the
>> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Softwar
>> \Microsoft\Jet\3.5\Engines\ODBC\QueryTimeout
>> registry key but this has made no difference. I have also tried
>> increasing
>> the Access QueryTimeout property using an Access subroutine but the
>> queries
>> still time out after 60 seconds but this doesn't work either.
>> Any suggestions?

 
 
 

1. odbc sql server driver timeout expired sql server 7.0

I am trying to run a big query and this mesage appears after about 20 seconds..any ideas?
I increased the value of the tiomeout to the max (30000)
it is a pretty big query:
UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  CombPhone IN
        (SELECT number
      FROM dncgov.dbo.fulllist
)

customer has 140 thousand records
fulllist has 52 million records

indexes on combphone and on number
two different databases on the same server

I also tried
UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  exists         (SELECT number
      FROM dncgov.dbo.fulllist Where CombPhone = Number)

and

Select Number into #temp
 from dncgov.dbo.fulllist
 Inner Join telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
  on Number = Combphone

then

UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  exists         (SELECT number
      FROM #temp Where CombPhone = Number)

they all timeout

any ideas?

2. how can i read text and images?

3. [ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server][OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired]

4. Replicating vs Log shipping

5. category:odbc,source:odbc sql server driver,number:s1t00(timeout expired)

6. Using sp_rename on a stored procedure

7. SQL Server ODBC Timeout Expired - SQL 2000

8. Determining cause of deadlock in Oracle

9. SQL 2000 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

10. java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

11. Access97 <-> SQl Server 6.5 Locking Problem

12. ODBC timeout when connecting from ACCESS 97 to SQL Server 6.5 (heavy loaded server)

13. ODBC SQL Server Driver: Timeout Expired (80040e31)