Can you input different Unicode encodings into a Unicode SQL Server field?

Post by Marcus Leo » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can you input different Unicode encodings into a Unicode SQL Server field?
Say one has data in UTF-8 and UTF-16 formats.  Can you input both of these
data sets into the same database field?

Can you input different Unicode encodings into a Unicode SQL Server field?

Post by Hal Berenso » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

SQL Server's Unicode datatype is UCS-2.  So any data coming in via UTF-8 or
UTF-16 is going to have to be converted to UCS-2.  If its a loseless
conversion, then you are fine.  Personally, I don't know enough about UTF-8
and UTF-16 to answer that.

Hal

--
All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone

-----------
Show support for SQL Server and support the American Red Cross, order your
books from barnesandnoble.com at
http://bn.bfast.com/bfast/click/mid1349732?siteid=6710312&bfpage=h

Quote:> Can you input different Unicode encodings into a Unicode SQL Server field?
> Say one has data in UTF-8 and UTF-16 formats.  Can you input both of these
> data sets into the same database field?

1. input Unicode data into SQL Server table

Hi,

What are the steps in inputting Unicode data into a SQL
server table. I use the insert command and cut and paste
some Chinese characters, and inserted into a ntext field.
When querying, the other fields showed up fine, but not
the ntext field (shows up as ???). So how to you properly
enter in Unicode data and have it displayed properly when
querying.

Also does SQL Server allow manually input records? (i.e. a
text box to insert data into fields one record at a time)

Thanks in advance!
Eric

2. converting pick file to any other database program

3. SQL 7.0 character set, input and output unicode with C++

4. Accounting Package in Delphi with source code.

5. Help with converting Windows Unicode (UCS-2) to Oracle Unicode (UTF-8) via ADO

6. SQL and encode(.) function

7. Unicode or not Unicode ?

8. Sort Merge

9. Need to upgrade a non-unicode database to unicode database

10. Help with converting Windows Unicode (UCS-2) to Oracle Unicode (UTF-8) via ADO

11. Conversion Unicode database to a non-Unicode

12. how to get unicode string from database in an none-unicode project

13. unicode vs. non-unicode