Incremental population of a fulltext catalog

Incremental population of a fulltext catalog

Post by Kai Schofiel » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:10:31

Hi.

Id like to know if there is a possibility of retrieving a count of rows due
to be changed by the next incremental update of a fulltext index.
The specific table contains a primary key of type INT as the key field for
the fulltext index and also a timestamp field which is not indexed.

Since I dont know how many rows in the table are inserted and how many are
updated I would like to determine which population method is more efficient,
a full rebuild or an incremental update.

Im using the SQL Server 7.0 with SP 2 installed. Unfortunately I didnt
find anything useful in the online documentation. Can anyone give me a clue?

Kai

Incremental population of a fulltext catalog

Post by Somchai U » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:53:05

No the task I tell you is a simpler method. In order to find the
added/updated/deleted records, SQL server scan all records in table
against all records in index. It is a heavyweighted task. I do not
advise you to duplicate this task. The database usually can tell you
how many records are updated, for example, the number of transactions
that you stored somewhere else.

Somchai U.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:42:47 +0100, "Kai Schofield"

>This would certainly solve the problem but it seems to complicated to me
>since the sql server itself has to perform this task to incremetally
>populate the fulltext index.

>I thought that maybe I could use some system commands or existing stored
>procedures to figure out which rows will be updated during the population
>process...

>> The simple method is to remember (I means store it somewhere)
>> timestamp or a datetime field that tell when record updated. after
>> populate the full-text index. Then You can count for new or update
>> record by using > operator. Of course, this method do not count the
>> records that have been deleted.

>> Somchai U.

>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:10:31 +0100, "Kai Schofield"

>> >Hi.

>> >Id like to know if there is a possibility of retrieving a count of rows
>due
>> >to be changed by the next incremental update of a fulltext index.
>> >The specific table contains a primary key of type INT as the key field
>for
>> >the fulltext index and also a timestamp field which is not indexed.

>> >Since I dont know how many rows in the table are inserted and how many
>are
>> >updated I would like to determine which population method is more
>efficient,
>> >a full rebuild or an incremental update.

>> >Im using the SQL Server 7.0 with SP 2 installed. Unfortunately I didnt
>> >find anything useful in the online documentation. Can anyone give me a
>clue?

>> >Kai

Incremental population of a fulltext catalog

Post by Chri » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:42:23

Quote:> Id like to know if there is a possibility of retrieving a count of rows
due
> to be changed by the next incremental update of a fulltext index.

You should strong consider upgrading to SQL Server 2000.  The update
mechanism is much faster and there are more ways to control it.

With 2000, you could answer your question with this simple query:

select count(*) from sysfulltextnotify

1. fulltext incremental population speedup

I am using a fulltext index on a news db where  news are continuously coming
in.
I would like that on every new record i put the index is incrementally
populated.
So i just wrote a trigger that executes the sp_fulltext_catalog start
incremental but it doesn't work,
it says that the stored procedure cannot be executed because it is into
another procedure.
Can someone help me with this?
I also would like to know why incremental population is so slow! it takes
2-3 minutes with 10-20 news (about 50 Kb).
Thank you in advance,

Elio Paoloni

2. questions for sybase

3. SQL7 Fulltext incremental population problem

4. JOIN 2 TABLES - HELP !!

5. Fulltext Catalog - population won't schedule

6. Dataviewer from Nativa Software

7. Change NT password disable fulltext catalog population

8. FMPRO: Using a Return Char in an export

9. FullText catalog population fails after SP3 installed - logs.zip (0/1)

10. Incremental Population of a full-text catalog

11. Incremental Population of Full Text Catalog Takes Longer than Original Creation

12. Scheduled full-text incremental population for full-text catalog