can you set a time out setting on a database login

can you set a time out setting on a database login

Post by snipe » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:30:10

Hi,
can anyone tell me whether i can set a lockout policy or
timeout policy i.e. the login does not get access to the
database after 25days or 30 days etc like in oracle,can we
do it in SQL 2000 or 7.0 at the database level ?

ur help will be appreciated !

sniper

can you set a time out setting on a database login

Post by Dejan Sark » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:53:38

Not on the db level, but you can use Windows integrated security. Win 2000
has a lot of options for controlling user accounts, like expiration date,
permitted logon hours etc. Besides that, you have account policies, like
password and account lockout policy.

--
Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> Hi,
> can anyone tell me whether i can set a lockout policy or
> timeout policy i.e. the login does not get access to the
> database after 25days or 30 days etc like in oracle,can we
> do it in SQL 2000 or 7.0 at the database level ?

> ur help will be appreciated !

> sniper

can you set a time out setting on a database login

Post by snipe » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:07:24

Thanks !! a lot
just one more question
 can an intercative login be disabled and still the user
can access the database ??? ie he cannot login through
isqlw ????
ur help will be appreciated

Post by Dejan Sark » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:05:47

You don't disable a login. What you do is:
- SQL Server logins: add and drop them (so you just ddrop a login, and use
can't access SQL Server anymore) with sp_addlogin and sp_droplogin system
SPs
- Win users: grant them access, revoke granted access, or deny access. With
sp_grantlogin you grant access to a user or a group. Sometimes you don't
want a specific uses to login to SQL Server, but you don't know which Win
group is he member of, so he could get access through some group. In such
case you deny him access to SQL Server with sp_denylogin. You delete grants
and denies with sp_revokelogin.

--
Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
PASS - the definitive, global community

> Thanks !! a lot
> just one more question
>  can an intercative login be disabled and still the user
> can access the database ??? ie he cannot login through
> isqlw ????
> ur help will be appreciated

Post by Peter Theli » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:58:16

If I need a temporary SQL Server account I usually create a user
through the Enterprise Manager and then schedule a job that removes
him using "EXEC sp_droplogin"...

krgds,

    Peter

> You don't disable a login. What you do is:
> - SQL Server logins: add and drop them (so you just ddrop a login,
and use
> can't access SQL Server anymore) with sp_addlogin and sp_droplogin
system
> SPs
> - Win users: grant them access, revoke granted access, or deny
access. With
> sp_grantlogin you grant access to a user or a group. Sometimes you
don't
> want a specific uses to login to SQL Server, but you don't know
which Win
> group is he member of, so he could get access through some group.
In such
> case you deny him access to SQL Server with sp_denylogin. You
delete grants
> and denies with sp_revokelogin.

> --
> Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
> FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> PASS - the definitive, global community
> for SQL Server professionals - http://www.sqlpass.org

> > Thanks !! a lot
> > just one more question
> >  can an intercative login be disabled and still the user
> > can access the database ??? ie he cannot login through
> > isqlw ????
> > ur help will be appreciated

1. Setting Time Outs

I have a connection that has one bad day in ten. We're T-1 here, they're
256K and get to us via a local IP. The usual error indicates a network
connection, so I'm assuming (there's that word) that its competing against
something else on the pipe and it decides at times that it doesn't want to
move the 200,000 plus records, and can fail at any given increment.

Is it wise to to allow it more time? and where is the change made on SQL
2000 Server? In Enterprise Manager? or does anyone know where I might find
extended info on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

2. SQL Help

3. Setting up WAS 3.0 for user login to database

4. Need help with data model - problem tracking product from many warehouse shelves

5. Continual time-outs (time is not on my side)

6. Combo box

7. Set database setting for backup/restore timeout

8. Use a button in Table view Filemaker 5.0

9. Setting Repeating Fields from found record set in another database

10. set timing on ..what is the unit of time

11. Regional Settings SQL Date time setting

12. Getting Date/Time from LAN Machine and Setting Date/Time on Client

13. Setting up a Run-Time Database Dir?