Can't create new DBs - Error 945 after deleting ditribution database - Adventure Works Cycle MSCRM

Can't create new DBs - Error 945 after deleting ditribution database - Adventure Works Cycle MSCRM

Post by Cy Huckab » Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:17:32

I have been stuck on this for the last week...

I cannot create a new database on our Sql server, I have recently taken over
management responsibilities on an existing SQL server (2000). Apparently at one
time, it had the Adventure Works CRM database on it that has since been removed.

I was trying to create a new database last week and I keep getting the following
error...
*********************
Error 945: Database 'testDB' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or
insufficient memory or disk space. See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
The CREATE DATABASE process is allocating 1.0 MB on disk 'testDB_Data'.
The CREATE DATABASE process is allocating 1.0 MB on disk 'testDB_Log'.
Device activation error. The physical name
'c:\MSSQL7\Data\Adventure_Works_Cycle_MSCRM_log.LDF' may be incorrect.
*********************

I know that Disk Space and Memory aren't the problem. Also, the other databases
on that instance perform very well and have had no problems growing over the
last week.

The only thing that shows up in the SQL server error log is a line item that
says "Starting up database 'testDB'. no error message there.

I have confirmed that we DO NOT have the data file and or log files for the Adv
Works database. I don't want to restore it, I just want to delete any orphaned
references that may be lingering.

It looks like replication was being used at one point too, not sure if this has
anything to do with it. Properties on the server say that Replication is not
enabled...but the "distribution" database still shows that it is being
replicated and cannot be detached.

Any ideas would be great, thanks,

Cy Huckaba
Austin, TX

1. Cannot create a new database - Error 945

When I try to create a new database ('NewDB') on my SS2000
server, I get the following message :

Server: Msg 945, Level 14, State 2, Line 1
Database 'NewDB' cannot be opened due to inaccessible
files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL
Server errorlog for details.
The CREATE DATABASE process is allocating 0.63 MB on
disk 'NewDB'.
The CREATE DATABASE process is allocating 0.49 MB on
disk 'NewDB_log'.
Device activation error. The physical file
name 'd:\data\MSSQL\Data\distribution.LDF' may be
incorrect.

The 'Distribution' database was used in merge replication
a few months ago. But this database has been deleted since
(a new distribution database is now in place for merge
replication). There is no more trace of
the "Distribution.LDF" or the "Distribution.MDF" on the
disk.

What would you recommand to get things back to normal ?
Thanks for your ideas.

Regards,

Dave

2. Configuring sqlmail

3. Error 945 while shrinking database (undocumented way)

4. ORACLE FINANCIALS - AUSTRALIA!!!

5. Error 945

6. Execute stored procedure in the background from a Forms application.

7. sp_attach failed with error 945

8. Cannot update identity column

9. error 945

10. Error 945 Backup or restore operation terminated abnormally

11. error 945 problem!

12. Error 945 Backup or restore operation terminated abnormally

13. Error 945 ******Some files could not be activate ********