Custom rollup formulas and virtual cubes

Custom rollup formulas and virtual cubes

Post by SQL D » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:03:52

Hi,

I have a cube that contains custom rollup formulas on one level of one
dimension. This works OK and all data looks like expected. Now if I
create virtual cube that is based on that cube (all same dim and same
measures),  I loose all functionality of custom rollup formulas - I
just get standard aggregations. Ayone could help me with this problem?
I do this that I have an option to specify new custom rollup formula
for the same level in dimension, but I would like to keep formulas
from base cubes.

At this point I am trying custom rollup formulas work just with one
cube in virtual cube. Of course ultimatelly I will have more than one
cube in this virtual cube, and each base cube will have custom rollup
formulas defined on them.

Thank you,

Alex M.

Custom rollup formulas and virtual cubes

Post by Jér?me Poudo » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:12:31

Have you any sample of your custom rollup formula?
where are you defined this formula? (in a specific cube, in the shared
dimension?)

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a cube that contains custom rollup formulas on one level of one
> dimension. This works OK and all data looks like expected. Now if I
> create virtual cube that is based on that cube (all same dim and same
> measures),  I loose all functionality of custom rollup formulas - I
> just get standard aggregations. Ayone could help me with this problem?
> I do this that I have an option to specify new custom rollup formula
> for the same level in dimension, but I would like to keep formulas
> from base cubes.

> At this point I am trying custom rollup formulas work just with one
> cube in virtual cube. Of course ultimatelly I will have more than one
> cube in this virtual cube, and each base cube will have custom rollup
> formulas defined on them.

> Thank you,

> Alex M.

Custom rollup formulas and virtual cubes

Post by Alex M » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:59:36

Jr?me,

I am defining cusom rollup formula in cube.
I did made it work by defining it in virtual cube as well, though I am not
happy with this approach.
I would be better if virual cube would use rollup formulas defined in base
cubes. Is that doable?
Example of my formula:
IIF([Report Currency].CurrentMember IS [Report Currency].&[255]
OR Measures.CurrentMember.UniqueName = "[Measures].[NonCurrencyMeasureName]"
, [Report Currency].Ignore
, [Report Currency].Ignore * LookupCube("CurrencyConvertCube","
(Measures.CurrencyValue, [Local Currency].[US$], [Report Currency].[CA$])
)

I was able to make this formula work just with function .Ignore, but I am
woring that this function is not described in BOL. Is there any way to write
same formula?

Thank you for your help.

> Have you any sample of your custom rollup formula?
> where are you defined this formula? (in a specific cube, in the shared
> dimension?)

> > Hi,

> > I have a cube that contains custom rollup formulas on one level of one
> > dimension. This works OK and all data looks like expected. Now if I
> > create virtual cube that is based on that cube (all same dim and same
> > measures),  I loose all functionality of custom rollup formulas - I
> > just get standard aggregations. Ayone could help me with this problem?
> > I do this that I have an option to specify new custom rollup formula
> > for the same level in dimension, but I would like to keep formulas
> > from base cubes.

> > At this point I am trying custom rollup formulas work just with one
> > cube in virtual cube. Of course ultimatelly I will have more than one
> > cube in this virtual cube, and each base cube will have custom rollup
> > formulas defined on them.

> > Thank you,

> > Alex M.

1. More complicated aggregation using unary operatos, custom rollup formula and custom member formula

We can consider the calc order of unary operators, custom rollup formula and
custom member formula
for aggregation cells. For example, custom rollup formula -> unary operator
of lower level -> custom member formula for a certain cell of a dimension.

But, a cell in a cube may have multiple formulas applied to multiple
dimensions including both of private and shared dimensions. So, I need more
detailed calc order rules for this case.

Is there any spec or white paper explaining internal track of the cells
during aggregation for the exact cube design ?

Thanks

2. US-UT-WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER - SR. LEVEL (REF number : JM-806)

3. Custom Member Formulas not working in Virtual Cube

4. MSDE 2000 Linked Server ADSI?

5. Dimensions using custom member formulas in a virtual cube

6. isql and extra blank lines in output

7. custom rollup formulas for non leaf data members

8. Retrieving information from a DB

9. Custom rollup formula for average

10. Custom Rollup Formula / Pass Order / Solve Order

11. Q: Custom Rollup Formula - Average?

12. Custom Rollup Formula

13. Custom rollup formula dont work