Create a System DSN - can't set the Default Database

Create a System DSN - can't set the Default Database

Post by Grant Russ » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:46:50

I am running SQLServer v7 on Win2000

when trying to create System DSN for a SQLServer database on any PC, I
am unable to change the default database to anything other than 6
default DBs (master, model, msdb, Northwind, pubs & temp).  this is
happening with any PC reguardless of how i authenticate.

i am able to work around this problem by editing the registry entries
for odbc.ini - but that is kind of a bogus work around.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Grant C. Russel
SG Russel Group, Inc.

Create a System DSN - can't set the Default Database

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 05:36:46

Looks like the login you are using in the DSN has not been granted access to
the other databases. You are able to see some of the databases, because they
have guest user enabled.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

Post by Mike Moh » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:52:59

> You can access this article quickly by entering MSKB Q279526 in the URL
> line in Internet Explorer.

I just tried this and went to the XtraMSN site with a search failure.  What
settings do you have in IE to achieve this?

Information Technology Group      === Phone: 64 9 917-9999 x8133
Auckland University of Technology === Fax:   64 9 917-9901
PO Box 92006, Auckland, New Zealand =
http://home.aut.ac.nz/staff/mmohr/
Chaos reigns within.  Repent, reflect, reboot.  Order shall return.

Create a System DSN - can't set the Default Database

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:04:13

I think it doesn't work when you have some non-us regional setting on the machine...

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> > You can access this article quickly by entering MSKB Q279526 in the URL
> > line in Internet Explorer.

> I just tried this and went to the XtraMSN site with a search failure.  What
> settings do you have in IE to achieve this?

> Information Technology Group      === Phone: 64 9 917-9999 x8133
> Auckland University of Technology === Fax:   64 9 917-9901
> PO Box 92006, Auckland, New Zealand =
> http://home.aut.ac.nz/staff/mmohr/
> Chaos reigns within.  Repent, reflect, reboot.  Order shall return.

Create a System DSN - can't set the Default Database

Post by Rand Boyd [M » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:13:47

I need to update my comment to include this on works wis US settings

Sorry about that.

Rand

1. Any system stored procedures or extended sp's or Api's for Creating DSN

Hi,
  I want to create a system data source (dsn) through a
stored procedure. Are there any system or extended stored
procedures in sql for this or are there any odbc API's to
create the dsn. I find only xp_enumdsn to find list of
dsn's and xp_dsninfo which is for obtaining just info
about the dsn

Regards,
Ravi

2. getting a zero-filled text field for an amount.

3. DSN Can't find user's default database

4. select (sql) problem

5. DSN Default dB being overriden by Login's default dB

6. traceon 208?

7. Creating System DSN's

8. Hashing algorithms

9. Can't Create System DSN with TCP/IP network

10. Create a System DSN from a File DSN

11. Can't set default value creating Jet DB via ADO

12. System DSN vs File DSN's