"cannot open cube" error

Post by mclo.. » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:01:49

Hi all,

I'm in a real jam here, and would appreciate any help anyone could give
me.  I'm working with OLAP in SQL Server 7.0, SP 2 on both the OLAP and
the SQL side, SP5 on NT, and I'm getting this error when trying to
query one of my cubes from isql (query analyzer):

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'msolap' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open cube 'DynaRepsCube'.]

I can access this cube fine in MDX Sample Application, and can access
the FoodMart cube fine in any circumstance.  Can anyone help me
please?  I have a deadline on Monday and this is a brand new problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Cheers,

-m

Matthew Cloney
    Internet Applications Developer
    CASAS
    http://www.casas.org/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

"cannot open cube" error

Post by thomas ivarsso » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:23:50

Why are you quering the cube from query analyzer? Using sql against a cube
is really no good solution because of the limits within sql. To me it sounds
like you ignore the strongest capabilities of OLAP, to make more complex
queries
, through MDX, with less effort than writing complicated SQL.

Thomas Ivarsson
DW consultant Sweden

> Hi all,

> I'm in a real jam here, and would appreciate any help anyone could give
> me.  I'm working with OLAP in SQL Server 7.0, SP 2 on both the OLAP and
> the SQL side, SP5 on NT, and I'm getting this error when trying to
> query one of my cubes from isql (query analyzer):

> Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
> OLE DB provider 'msolap' reported an error.
> [OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open cube 'DynaRepsCube'.]

> I can access this cube fine in MDX Sample Application, and can access
> the FoodMart cube fine in any circumstance.  Can anyone help me
> please?  I have a deadline on Monday and this is a brand new problem.

> Thanks in advance for any ideas!

> Cheers,

> -m

> Matthew Cloney
>     Internet Applications Developer
>     CASAS
>     http://www.casas.org/

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

"cannot open cube" error

Post by Dennis Redfiel » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:40:26

no, I think it is a good idea. Mdoney please provide us with the command
line options you are using to attempt to open the cube with ISQL.  Thanks.

> Why are you quering the cube from query analyzer? Using sql against a cube
> is really no good solution because of the limits within sql. To me it
sounds
> like you ignore the strongest capabilities of OLAP, to make more complex
> queries
> , through MDX, with less effort than writing complicated SQL.

> Thomas Ivarsson
> DW consultant Sweden

> > Hi all,

> > I'm in a real jam here, and would appreciate any help anyone could give
> > me.  I'm working with OLAP in SQL Server 7.0, SP 2 on both the OLAP and
> > the SQL side, SP5 on NT, and I'm getting this error when trying to
> > query one of my cubes from isql (query analyzer):

> > Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
> > OLE DB provider 'msolap' reported an error.
> > [OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open cube 'DynaRepsCube'.]

> > I can access this cube fine in MDX Sample Application, and can access
> > the FoodMart cube fine in any circumstance.  Can anyone help me
> > please?  I have a deadline on Monday and this is a brand new problem.

> > Thanks in advance for any ideas!

> > Cheers,

> > -m

> > Matthew Cloney
> >     Internet Applications Developer
> >     CASAS
> >     http://www.casas.org/

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

"cannot open cube" error

Post by thomas ivarsso » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:12:13

OK. I'm opened minded. So what is the point with using SQL here?

Thomas Ivarsson

> no, I think it is a good idea. Mdoney please provide us with the command
> line options you are using to attempt to open the cube with ISQL.  Thanks.

> > Why are you quering the cube from query analyzer? Using sql against a
cube
> > is really no good solution because of the limits within sql. To me it
> sounds
> > like you ignore the strongest capabilities of OLAP, to make more complex
> > queries
> > , through MDX, with less effort than writing complicated SQL.

> > Thomas Ivarsson
> > DW consultant Sweden

Quote:> > > Hi all,

> > > I'm in a real jam here, and would appreciate any help anyone could
give
> > > me.  I'm working with OLAP in SQL Server 7.0, SP 2 on both the OLAP
and
> > > the SQL side, SP5 on NT, and I'm getting this error when trying to
> > > query one of my cubes from isql (query analyzer):

> > > Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
> > > OLE DB provider 'msolap' reported an error.
> > > [OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open cube 'DynaRepsCube'.]

> > > I can access this cube fine in MDX Sample Application, and can access
> > > the FoodMart cube fine in any circumstance.  Can anyone help me
> > > please?  I have a deadline on Monday and this is a brand new problem.

> > > Thanks in advance for any ideas!

> > > Cheers,

> > > -m

> > > Matthew Cloney
> > >     Internet Applications Developer
> > >     CASAS
> > >     http://www.casas.org/

> > > Sent via Deja.com
> > > http://www.deja.com/

"cannot open cube" error

Post by Dennis Redfiel » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:40:32

You can use retrieve the 'raw' aggregation rows via SQL (as opposed to the
tuple row sets you get using MDX) and from there one can move to other
statistical programs to analyize the data.....

> OK. I'm opened minded. So what is the point with using SQL here?

> Thomas Ivarsson

> > no, I think it is a good idea. Mdoney please provide us with the command
> > line options you are using to attempt to open the cube with ISQL.
Thanks.

> > > Why are you quering the cube from query analyzer? Using sql against a
> cube
> > > is really no good solution because of the limits within sql. To me it
> > sounds
> > > like you ignore the strongest capabilities of OLAP, to make more
complex
> > > queries
> > > , through MDX, with less effort than writing complicated SQL.

> > > Thomas Ivarsson
> > > DW consultant Sweden

> give
> and

problem.

1. "Cannot open cube" error?

I'd appreciate any help on the following problem:

When I try to hit a cube from a .ASP page I get the following error:

Microsoft? OLE DB Provider for OLAP Services error '80004005'
Cannot open cube 'Immune'.
/OlapTest/mcir1.asp, line 15

The offending line is simply trying to open my cellset object:

   cs.Open szMDX

This only happens on one cube (cube1) that I've built.  Another cube
(cube2) that I built works fine.  Also, an example using the FoodMart
database works fine as well.

I've got OLAP sp1 installed.  I've got my permissions setup correctly.
I've got the OLE DB Provider installed correctly on the IIS web server.

I've tried to figure out what is wrong by comparing the
permissions/roles etc between the two cubes, but I'm coming up with no
differences.  I've searched Dejanews, Microsoft, etc, and haven't come
up with any solutions.

Again, I can get results from one cube (cube2), but when I try to hit
cube1 I get the "cannot open cube" error.

Thanks...

-DC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Images Held in SQL Image Field ---> Access 2000 report

3. ERROR "Cannot open user default database"

4. FoxPro <-> Sybase on Macintosh

5. "Master Table Open" open error

6. Exceed the limit of 16 tables!!!!!

7. Record.open "", "URL=..."

8. Return only certain range of records

9. "Cannot open chunk"

10. "Cannot open any more tables."

11. "Unable to locate cube" error

12. "Unspecified Error" browsing a cube

13. Error locating cube "xxx" on connection