Tracking Changes to Records

Post by Andy Driskel » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:49:03

Hi all,  wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here first of all.

What I am trying to do is to see what changes are being made to records in a
certain database by a program being run on a client that updates data.  The
SQL server is version 7.0 and I have been trying to use Profiler to do this
with no joy so far.  I dont fancy setting up triggers to track the changes
as there is over 100 or so tables in the database.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for doing this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance,

Andy D

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:06:09

The best tool for the job is from www.lumigent.com

--

Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi all,  wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here first of
all.

> What I am trying to do is to see what changes are being made to records in
> certain database by a program being run on a client that updates data.
The
> SQL server is version 7.0 and I have been trying to use Profiler to do
this
> with no joy so far.  I dont fancy setting up triggers to track the changes
> as there is over 100 or so tables in the database.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction for doing this sort of thing?

> Thanks in advance,

> Andy D

Tracking Changes to Records

Post by Mandar Naik[MSFT » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:16:40

There are quite a few third party tools for this. e.g.
http://www.lumigent.com

There's a tool called Entegra which allows you to audit without triggers.

--
Regards,
Mandar Naik

Quote:> Hi all,  wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here first of
all.

> What I am trying to do is to see what changes are being made to records in
> certain database by a program being run on a client that updates data.
The
> SQL server is version 7.0 and I have been trying to use Profiler to do
this
> with no joy so far.  I dont fancy setting up triggers to track the changes
> as there is over 100 or so tables in the database.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction for doing this sort of thing?

> Thanks in advance,

> Andy D

Tracking Changes to Records

Post by Andy Driskel » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:20:20

I have stumbled onto that site already today,  is there no other way to do
this than with a third party tool?  or is it database triggers all the way?

Cheers,

Andy D

> The best tool for the job is from www.lumigent.com

> --

> Andrew J. Kelly
> SQL Server MVP

> > Hi all,  wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here first of
> all.

> > What I am trying to do is to see what changes are being made to records
in
> > certain database by a program being run on a client that updates data.
> The
> > SQL server is version 7.0 and I have been trying to use Profiler to do
> this
> > with no joy so far.  I dont fancy setting up triggers to track the
changes
> > as there is over 100 or so tables in the database.

> > Can anyone point me in the right direction for doing this sort of thing?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Andy D

Tracking Changes to Records

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:06:33

You can use a tool such as profiler but it can be cumbersome or imposable to
find what your after and it has some performance and maintenance down sides
that you have to deal with.  You can use triggers but again they have
downsides that you may not want to deal with.  There are some 3rd party
tools such as www.redmatrix.com  that can help to create the triggers.  But
the tool from lumigent will give you the most features in the least amount
of time in a very well thought out interface.  While it may seem like a lot
of money it will save you much more than that in time you won't have to
spend dealing with the alternatives.

--

Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

> I have stumbled onto that site already today,  is there no other way to do
> this than with a third party tool?  or is it database triggers all the
way?

> Cheers,

> Andy D

> > The best tool for the job is from www.lumigent.com

> > --

> > Andrew J. Kelly
> > SQL Server MVP

> > > Hi all,  wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here first
of
> > all.

> > > What I am trying to do is to see what changes are being made to
records
> in
> > > certain database by a program being run on a client that updates data.
> > The
> > > SQL server is version 7.0 and I have been trying to use Profiler to do
> > this
> > > with no joy so far.  I dont fancy setting up triggers to track the
> changes
> > > as there is over 100 or so tables in the database.

> > > Can anyone point me in the right direction for doing this sort of
thing?

> > > Thanks in advance,

> > > Andy D

1. Track changes to a record in another table

Hi,

Problem: Need to write to log changes to records within a table.
Approach: write a stored procedure that would take two cursor
parameters. The sp would then figure out what columns were in the
cursor, compare them and generate a string with the differeneces.

First question: Is this a good approach?

Here's my trigger code:
-- transaction log (revised)

SELECT BMTRecd_ID FROM Inserted)

SELECT BMTRecd_ID FROM Deleted)

DEALLOCATE C_Before
DEALLOCATE C_After

This appears to be working fine. However, I'm having difficulty making
the sp_update_log generic to determine what columns are in the cursors
passed in. Here's my current sp code:

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_log_update

AS

    BEGIN

   end

error that it's already declared.

TIA for any help,

Mark
/\/\/

2. Oracle JVM security to write to host system?

3. HELP:Tracking of changes in database-records

4. Local Connection vs DLL pointer

5. JCN - KEEPING TRACKS OF ALL CHANGES TO RECORDS IN AN ACCESS DATABASE

6. LONDON - VB 5.0/Sql-Server 6.5/ NT 4 - Developers - Derivatives Trading Systems

7. Need Help: Tracking changes and comparing records in a table question

8. Change tracking looses changes

9. Full-Text Change Tracking and Updates via BCP.

10. Keeping track of changes

11. Tracking changes to a table

12. history file or DB tracking all possible changes