Replication overhead

Post by John Maserat » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:07:44

I have an SQL2k server running on a w2k advserver running a periodic merge
with an identical machine and i have noticed that the memory usage on the
machine that i can see is running very high - with 256 mb Ram SQL appears to
be using 120 mb.  IS this right - the replication is not scheduled to run
for another 12 hours and there is no maintenance scheduled.  Has anyone
experienced this or are we now into code red III sql worms etc...
Incidently before anyone suggests it we are patched and taped to the gills
having already been caught out  by our friends the chinese hackers.

If anyone has any suggstions about how to manage the memory or even isolate
what exactly is causing the problem I like to hear it

John

Replication overhead

Post by Ivan Arjentinsk » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:22:21

John,

IMHO, 120mb is tiny usage. Generally SQL Server will eat all the available
RAM. When another application however, requests it, it will free as much as
needed.

BTW, you might think for RAM upgrade - with W2K Adv.Server and SQL2K on it,
256 MB RAM seems far from sufficient if it is used in production.

Regards,
Ivan Arjentinski

Checkout the SQL Upgrade Wizard -
upgrade production DB schema, while keeping the data.
www.aloeco.com/upgrader

Quote:> I have an SQL2k server running on a w2k advserver running a periodic merge
> with an identical machine and i have noticed that the memory usage on the
> machine that i can see is running very high - with 256 mb Ram SQL appears
> be using 120 mb.  IS this right - the replication is not scheduled to run
> for another 12 hours and there is no maintenance scheduled.  Has anyone
> experienced this or are we now into code red III sql worms etc...
> Incidently before anyone suggests it we are patched and taped to the gills
> having already been caught out  by our friends the chinese hackers.

> If anyone has any suggstions about how to manage the memory or even
isolate
> what exactly is causing the problem I like to hear it

> John

Replication overhead

Post by John Maserat » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:16:41

thanks,

its a good job its so cheap nowadays

> John,

> IMHO, 120mb is tiny usage. Generally SQL Server will eat all the available
> RAM. When another application however, requests it, it will free as much
as
> needed.

> BTW, you might think for RAM upgrade - with W2K Adv.Server and SQL2K on
it,
> 256 MB RAM seems far from sufficient if it is used in production.

> Regards,
> Ivan Arjentinski

> Checkout the SQL Upgrade Wizard -
> upgrade production DB schema, while keeping the data.
> www.aloeco.com/upgrader

> > I have an SQL2k server running on a w2k advserver running a periodic
merge
> > with an identical machine and i have noticed that the memory usage on
the
> > machine that i can see is running very high - with 256 mb Ram SQL
appears
> > be using 120 mb.  IS this right - the replication is not scheduled to
run
> > for another 12 hours and there is no maintenance scheduled.  Has anyone
> > experienced this or are we now into code red III sql worms etc...
> > Incidently before anyone suggests it we are patched and taped to the
gills
> > having already been caught out  by our friends the chinese hackers.

> > If anyone has any suggstions about how to manage the memory or even
> isolate
> > what exactly is causing the problem I like to hear it

> > John

Replication overhead

Post by Michael Hote » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:56:10

What you are seeing is normal.  It may have allocated that much RAM.  That
doesn't necessarily mean it is USING all of it at the moment.  It just
hasn't released any back to the OS, because nothing else needed it.

--
Mike Hotek
SQL Server MVP

1. Replication Overhead (Net Traffic)

I have been looking for information regarding SQL Server 2000 and
replication overhead.  Basically, what I am looking for is a way to
calculate how much overhead is involved when servers are replicating.

For example, suppose I have 100MB of data to replicate over a WAN link.  Is
there a formula to determine how much data will actually be transmitted over
the network?  (100MB Data + SQL Overhead = ?)

Thanks,

Mike

2. Identity property!!!

3. "removing" replication overhead

4. Performance problem with using distinct count in calculated members

5. Transaction Replication processing overheads

6. pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt encode.c

7. Overhead for each additional database

8. Question re ODBC usage

9. Connection overhead

10. DB Procedure overhead

11. Performance overheads with WHERE x LIKE '%'

12. Overhead - UDF vs Stored Proc

13. Overhead involved on VARCHAR and/or NULL