Open source full text indexing, anyone interested?

Open source full text indexing, anyone interested?

Post by ryano0.. » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

I have been annoyed at the lack of string and full text handling in SQL
7.0 (yes I know it has a search service, but have you tried using it)
so I decided to create a generic plug and play set of routines for use
from T-SQL. Well, I have done just that and I am reasonably proud of
them.

My question is, would there be any interest from the group in placing
these under an open source agreement of some kind?

In return, I would require active feedback on the functions and any
optimisations that could possibly be made. This helps all of us, you
get a ready made set of functions and we all get a fully debugged
generic full text indexing engine.

I would also need some feedback on ease of use, adaptability, features
required and constructive criticism.

So, before I spend hours putting documentation together, publishing a
site and posting the results here, is there any real interest in this?

subject line of 'FTX' please. Please remove the anti spam from my email
address first.

By the way, it consists of five tables and six procedures and should
work with datasets of any size (in use on 1 million row book database).

Ryan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

Hi,

I'm about to announce a release of OpenFTS search engine.

Short blurb:

  OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine)
  is an advanced PostgreSQL-based search engine
  that provides online indexing of data and relevance
  ranking for database searching. Close integration
  with database allows use of metadata to restrict
  search results.

This is actually what we use at fts.postgresql.org and
several other sites. Perl version is available for download,
TCL version (with AOL server support) will be available soon -
actually it just needs to wrap a release.

The OpenFTS project web site - http://openfts.sourceforge.net/

OpenFTS team:
  Oleg Bartunov       - Project Manager
  Teodor Sigaev       - Principal Developer
  Daniel Wickstrom    - Developer of TCL Version
  Neophytos Demetriou - Documentation Writer

Copyright:

  OpenFTS is Copyright 2000-2001 XWare and
  licensed under the GNU General Public License,
  version 2 (June 1991). This means you can use it
  and modify it in any way you want. If you choose to
  redistribute OpenFTS, you must do so under the
  terms of the GNU license.

        Regards,
                Oleg

PS.

Marc,

I didn't subscribe to announce list. I think it's worth to
put link somewhere to OpenFTS web site

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

2. Multiple Tables

3. Unattended SQL - Client Install!!! HELP!!!

4. Full text searching, anyone interested?

5. BI directional replication of text/image thru Transactional repl

6. index VS full-text index

7. Retrieve XML data using SQLXML through URL within stored procedure

8. InterMedia Text Manager doesn't work for creating/altering full text indexes

9. full text index + regular index

10. Full Text Indexing of Rich Text/ Word Documents

11. SQL Full Text indexing of Text Feilds

12. full-text / free-text indexing, errors reported by VB