SQL Mail vs SQL Agent Mail

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:44:42

Yuling,
SQL Mail is used by the SQL Server service - configured from
Enterprise Manager under Support Services. It's used when
you do things like xp_sendmail.
SQL Agent Mail is used by the SQL Server Agent service -
configured from the properties of SQL Server Agent. It's
used for sending out email job failure notifications, alert
email notifications.

--Sue

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:30:37 -0800, "yuling"

>Hi,

>What's the difference between SQL Mail and SQL Agent
>Mail?  I used a 3-party application to monitor the
>database activity.  From this software, it indicates that
>SQL Mail is not installed and SQL Agent Mail is active.

>What's the difference?

>Thank you for your input.

>Yuling

SQL Mail vs SQL Agent Mail

Post by Yuling T » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 05:03:25

Sue,

Thank you for your info.  The SQL Mail on Support Servive is started and
SQL Agent Mail send the notification to me everyday.  But, the software
of Spotlight on SQL indicated that SQL Mail is not installed????

On SQL server log, a statement "SQL Mail session started", I believe
it's SQL Mail, isn't it?  If you don't have SQL Mail, can you setup SQL
Agent Mail?

Recently, I tried to create a package with send mail task, but I got the
error message -- Initialization of MAPI failed.  Please make sure that
you have messaging service installed on this machine.  SQL Mail is
running and I can receive notification.  Which MAPI does this message
mean?

Thank you again for your help.
Yuling

SQL Mail vs SQL Agent Mail

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 07:06:20

Yuling,
It sounds like you have mail in SQL Agent setup and running
fine but that SQL Mail is having some problems. You can have
one set up and not the other or one working and not the
other. Hard to say what exactly but I'd venture a guess that
maybe they are using different mail profiles or you have SQL
Agent service setup with one domain account and SQL Server
service using another? Just a guess but if either of those
apply, you'd want to look into those issues and how they are
configured differently.
However, these knowledge base articles should help out in
understanding and troubleshooting your mail issues:

INF: How to Configure SQL Mail (Q263556)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q263556
INF: Common SQL Mail Problems (Q315886)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315886
INF: Frequently Asked Questions - SQL Server - SQL Mail
(Q311231)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311231

Hope that helps -

--Sue

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:03:25 -0800, Yuling Tu

>Sue,

>Thank you for your info.  The SQL Mail on Support Servive is started and
>SQL Agent Mail send the notification to me everyday.  But, the software
>of Spotlight on SQL indicated that SQL Mail is not installed????

>On SQL server log, a statement "SQL Mail session started", I believe
>it's SQL Mail, isn't it?  If you don't have SQL Mail, can you setup SQL
>Agent Mail?

>Recently, I tried to create a package with send mail task, but I got the
>error message -- Initialization of MAPI failed.  Please make sure that
>you have messaging service installed on this machine.  SQL Mail is
>running and I can receive notification.  Which MAPI does this message
>mean?

>Thank you again for your help.
>Yuling

1. SQL agent mail vs XP_SEND MAIL

I got  70-229 exam question. I thought the answer should be choice #1.
Can someone tell me whether i am correct or not.
Also explain in details why (if i am wrong).

Question: You are DBA for a hospital. There are 4 supply rooms on each
floor and the hospital has 26 floors. You are designing an inventory
control database for disposable equipment. As each item is used a
barcode is scanned to reduce the inventory count in the database.  The
supply should be paged as soon as a supply room has less than min.
quantity of an item. What should you do ?

Choice #1 Create an INSTEAD OF UPDATE trigger on the inventory table.
If the room has < minimum quantity , use SQLAgentMail to send email to
supply manager's pager.

Choice#2 Create a FOR UPDATE trigger on the inventory table. if the
quantity in the inserted table is less than the restocking quantity,
use the xp_sendmail system stored procedure to page the manager.

Thanx

2. Want to purchase FM Pro 4.1 Mac

3. SQL server 7 agent mail / SQL mail setup questions

4. SQL 7 Client

5. Setting up SQL Agent Mail and SQL Mail

6. commits in open ended transaction

7. sql mail and sql agent mail

8. stack space error

9. Lotus Notes and SQL Mail/SQL Agent Mail

10. SQL Agent Mail and SQL Mail

11. Problem in Setting SQL Mail / SQL Agent Mail

12. SQL Mail and Agent Mail with Lotus Notes

13. SQL Mail (SQL-2000) via Lotus cc:Mail (DB8)