Has anyone seen this error message before?

Has anyone seen this error message before?

Post by Rob Watso » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 23:33:03

One of my ASP scripts periodically returns the error quoted below.  No
line number is given and it is a very long script, so I'm having
trouble finding out the source of it. Maybe someone here could help me
narrow it down.

"[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The name 'com' is not
permitted in this context. Only constants, expressions, or variables
allowed here. Column names are not permitted."

Most of the time the script executes fine, but once in a while I get
this error.  The data I'm inserting into the database doesn't contain
the string "com" in it.

thanks for your help.

Rob Watson

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Has anyone seen this error message before?

Post by Dan Guzma » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 23:56:47

Just a guess but it could be that the data contains quotes.  This may cause
the parser to misinterpret the query string.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

Quote:> One of my ASP scripts periodically returns the error quoted below.  No
> line number is given and it is a very long script, so I'm having
> trouble finding out the source of it. Maybe someone here could help me
> narrow it down.

> "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The name 'com' is not
> permitted in this context. Only constants, expressions, or variables
> allowed here. Column names are not permitted."

> Most of the time the script executes fine, but once in a while I get
> this error.  The data I'm inserting into the database doesn't contain
> the string "com" in it.

> thanks for your help.

> Rob Watson

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Has anyone seen this error message before?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 23:58:42

Rob,

I doubt that anyone can pinpoint the problem based on that. Perhaps you entered a
string without quotes around it? If you have a lot of ASP code making it hard to
debug, run Profiler to catch the SQL statement submitted to SQL Server.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> One of my ASP scripts periodically returns the error quoted below.  No
> line number is given and it is a very long script, so I'm having
> trouble finding out the source of it. Maybe someone here could help me
> narrow it down.

> "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The name 'com' is not
> permitted in this context. Only constants, expressions, or variables
> allowed here. Column names are not permitted."

> Most of the time the script executes fine, but once in a while I get
> this error.  The data I'm inserting into the database doesn't contain
> the string "com" in it.

> thanks for your help.

> Rob Watson

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. Has anyone seen this error message before?

Hello All,

Any ideas why this might be coming up.  I do have SP 4 installed on SQL.

Thanks,

Ricardo

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed language setting to
'us_english'.[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The ODBC catalog
stored procedures installed on server wiley are version 6.50.215; version
07.00.0324 or later is required to ensure proper operation. Please contact
your system administrator.
ADODB.Errors error '800a0cc1'

ADO could not find the object in the collection corresponding to the name or
ordinal reference requested by the application.

/Include/OdbcConnect.asp, line 23

2. buying a database versus

3. Has anyone ever seen this error message before.

4. Returned mail: Host unknown

5. Anyone seen this message?

6. SQL3 - Multidimensional QUERY

7. Has anyone seen this error - DISTRIB.EXE - Version Check Error

8. JRE.EXE

9. nsf error , anyone seen these errors ?

10. Has anyone seen these errors from Win95?

11. Anyone seen these errors?

12. Help - Has anyone ever seen this error (sql 7.0)

13. strange error - has anyone seen this before?