Problem With Backup to Tape

Post by Steve V » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am running SQL Server 7.0 in WinNT 4.0.  For some reason SQL server will
not backup to tape.  Even though the tape device is properly configured and
other programs recognize it, SQL Server returns the following message:
"Can't open dump device '\\.\tape0', device error or device off line.
Please consult the SQL Server error log for more details. "
Any ideas what I can do?

Problem With Backup to Tape

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Steve - is there anything else in the SQL errorlog?  What sort of tape drive?
What other backup software installed?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Problem With Backup to Tape

Post by sav » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Neil--
There is nothing else in the SQL errorlog.  Actually, it reads that the data
was written even though there was an error and it was not written.
The tape drive I am using is an ARCHIVE Python 06408 in a Dell server.
My backup software is Veritas Backup Exec.  Backup Exec will not backup the
SQL database even though that option is installed.  So I decided to try and
back it up directly from the SQL enterprise manager--that is where I get the
error I initially mentioned.

Quote:> Steve - is there anything else in the SQL errorlog?  What sort of tape
drive?
> What other backup software installed?

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
(faqrtf.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  or www.sql-server.co.uk
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Problem With Backup to Tape

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

 Steve - check that the Backup Exec service doesn't have the tape drives locked
for it's sole use - this is the default with new versions of Backup Exec.  In
tools/options you should be able to deallocate them so other things (like SQL)
can get at them.

 > There is nothing else in the SQL errorlog.  Actually, it reads that the data

> was written even though there was an error and it was not written.
> The tape drive I am using is an ARCHIVE Python 06408 in a Dell server.
> My backup software is Veritas Backup Exec.  Backup Exec will not backup the
> SQL database even though that option is installed.  So I decided to try and
> back it up directly from the SQL enterprise manager--that is where I get the
> error I initially mentioned.

> > Steve - is there anything else in the SQL errorlog?  What sort of tape
> drive?
> > What other backup software installed?

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> >  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> >  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (faqrtf.zip - L7
> > - SQL Public)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> >  or www.sql-server.co.uk
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Problem With Backup to Tape

Post by steve V » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

This makes sense and I tried it, but I have been through every preference
menu in th program (including tools/options) and found no way to deallocate
them...am I missing something very simple here?
By the way--I really appreciate this.  Thank you for your time and help...
--Steve

> Steve - check that the Backup Exec service doesn't have the tape drives
locked
> for it's sole use - this is the default with new versions of Backup Exec.
In
> tools/options you should be able to deallocate them so other things (like
SQL)
> can get at them.

>  > There is nothing else in the SQL errorlog.  Actually, it reads that the
data
> > was written even though there was an error and it was not written.
> > The tape drive I am using is an ARCHIVE Python 06408 in a Dell server.
> > My backup software is Veritas Backup Exec.  Backup Exec will not backup
the
> > SQL database even though that option is installed.  So I decided to try
and
> > back it up directly from the SQL enterprise manager--that is where I get
the
> > error I initially mentioned.

> > > Steve - is there anything else in the SQL errorlog?  What sort of tape
> > drive?
> > > What other backup software installed?

> > >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> > >  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> > >  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> > >  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> > (faqrtf.zip - L7
> > > - SQL Public)
> > >  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> > >  or www.sql-server.co.uk
> > >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
(faqrtf.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  or www.sql-server.co.uk
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Problem With Backup to Tape

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

 Steve - I've only used a recent Backup Exec once on a customer site.  I found
the option really easily and unchecked it, but it was a while ago and I can't
remember exactly where it was.  Phone Veritas for support...

 > This makes sense and I tried it, but I have been through every preference

> menu in th program (including tools/options) and found no way to deallocate
> them...am I missing something very simple here?
> By the way--I really appreciate this.  Thank you for your time and help...
> --Steve

> > Steve - check that the Backup Exec service doesn't have the tape drives
> locked
> > for it's sole use - this is the default with new versions of Backup Exec.
> In
> > tools/options you should be able to deallocate them so other things (like
> SQL)
> > can get at them.

> >  > There is nothing else in the SQL errorlog.  Actually, it reads that the
> data
> > > was written even though there was an error and it was not written.
> > > The tape drive I am using is an ARCHIVE Python 06408 in a Dell server.
> > > My backup software is Veritas Backup Exec.  Backup Exec will not backup
> the
> > > SQL database even though that option is installed.  So I decided to try
> and
> > > back it up directly from the SQL enterprise manager--that is where I get
> the
> > > error I initially mentioned.

> > > drive?

> > > (faqrtf.zip - L7

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> >  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> >  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (faqrtf.zip - L7
> > - SQL Public)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> >  or www.sql-server.co.uk
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. tape backup waits indefinitely when no tape is in the drive

A tape backup job (on a DAT drive) scheduled for night-
time unattended execution waits forever if no tape is
present in the drive.
How can I have the job to time-out and fail so that a
pager alert can be sent to the operator who forgot to
insert the tape?

2. Access vs SQL

3. Scheduled Tape backups in v6.5 and HPT4000s tape drive

4. Date aggregatiation without gaps

5. SQL 7.0 tape backup - multiple tapes

6. Two Migration Scenarios

7. Backup to multiple Tape devices using a tape loader

8. DB Maintenance Plan

9. Tape Backup works but Tape not visible

10. Tape Backup system locks when dumping database to tape

11. Backup to Tape (New Tape)

12. Tape backups problem

13. Tape Backup problems