Case-insensitivity detected by ODBC Driver

Case-insensitivity detected by ODBC Driver

Post by Lisa Lombard » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Is there an ODBC driver call I make to find out if the db I am connected
to treats data case-sensitivily or not?

please respond here and to my email.

Case-insensitivity detected by ODBC Driver

Post by Grzegorz Rymar » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Lisa,
I don't know what kind of data you mean!
If you are thinking about identifiers (table names, etc) 'SQLGetInfo'
with 'SQL_IDENTIFIER_CASE'
argument could probabbly help you...

Regards,
Grzegorz Rymarz

> Is there an ODBC driver call I make to find out if the db I am
> connected
> to treats data case-sensitivily or not?

> please respond here and to my email.

Case-insensitivity detected by ODBC Driver

Post by Fuzz » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 09 Aug 1999 12:32:32 -0400, Lisa Lombardo

>Is there an ODBC driver call I make to find out if the db I am connected
>to treats data case-sensitivily or not?

Unfortunately, it's one of those bitter-experience things.  Here's a
starting list to make life easy

Oracle 7,8:  Case-sensitive data, case-insensitive object names
DB2 5: Case-sensitive data, case-insensitive object names
Informix 7: Case-sensitive data, case-insensitive object names
Sybase 11: Configurable (but always the same for data and objects)
SQL Server 6,7: Configurable (but always the same for data and
objects)
SQL Anywhere: Configurable (but always the same for data and objects)

When working in the case area, the RDBMS support for functions like
UPPER(), LOWER(), etc., and indexing on functions can be more
important than the underlying sensitivity.

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Case-insensitivity detected by ODBC Driver

SELECT CASE WHEN 'a'='A' THEN 'Case sensitive' ELSE 'Case insentive' END