remote control servers.

Post by tsadok0 » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:23:09

hallo.

how can i (if at all) can remote control a server that is not connected to my lan?
is there any option of cennecting to it using internet connection or dial up(and i am not talking about pcanywhere and stuff like that)?

thanks

remote control servers.

Post by Larry Mosle » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:48:30

Then what do you mean by remote control, if you don't want PCAnywhere or something similar? Remote control implies something like PC Anywhere, Terminals Services, or some such program.
What do you want to be able to do on this server?
Your access to it will depend largely on how restrictive the network admin has made the firewall at your company. I used a great little program called RemotelyAnywhere that allowed me to connect to my home machine via an HTTP or HTTPS connection. Their website is:
http://www.remotelyanywhere.com

Regards,
Larry M.

  hallo.

  how can i (if at all) can remote control a server that is not connected to my lan?
  is there any option of cennecting to it using internet connection or dial up(and i am not talking about pcanywhere and stuff like that)?

  thanks

remote control servers.

Post by tsadok0 » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:19:13

hallo.
sorry for being unclear.
i want to control the sql server and not the phisical machin.
is there any way to connect a far sql server to the enterprise manager at my machin?
thanks and sorry again.

[...]

Post by Larry Mosle » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:28:08

The SQL server itself will need to be using mixed mode authentication, and you will need to register the SQL Server using SQL Authentication in EM. Also, ports on the firewall will need to be opened.  See MS Kbase articl Q287932 for more information. Most likely your network admin isn't going to want to open the necessary ports on the firewall, but it never hurts to ask.

[...]

If the SQL server has external access and is not blocked by a firewall... you'd just enter it's IP or hostname into enterprise manager.