How does this work?

Post by Shawn Ber » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:55:04

Have read some articles and performed some tutorials about
Analysis Services for SQL Server 2000. The tutorial I went
through used the sample food mart access database that
installed w/ Analysys Services. It seems as though the
data used to generate the cubes is already in a summarized
format. Is this the typical way of using Analysis
Services? I have a transactions database that contains
single user transactions. Each transaction has a sku #,
dateTime stamp, amount, etc. Would I have to summarize
this data myself before Analysis Services could use it, or
would Analysis Services constantly look at the new
transaction data to summarize it for quicker reporting.
Just a bit confused on how it all works. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

How does this work?

Post by Thomas Page » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:50:12

Shawn,

one of the design decisions you have to make is how detailed you reports
need to be. A typical application of Analysis Services is that you try to
get as detailed as possible, so your approach is absolutely OK. The only
thing you have to take care about is that "constantly look at new
transaction data". You have to tell Analysis Services how to identify the
new data you want to add to the cube... a very easy approach is to refresh
all the data each time. That works with millions of records without any
problem. But there are ways to handle billions of them, too. Analysis
Services are capable of handling a Terabyte of source data or more....

HTH

Thomas Pagel, MASP Business Consulting GmbH, Germany

Quote:> Have read some articles and performed some tutorials about
> Analysis Services for SQL Server 2000. The tutorial I went
> through used the sample food mart access database that
> installed w/ Analysys Services. It seems as though the
> data used to generate the cubes is already in a summarized
> format. Is this the typical way of using Analysis
> Services? I have a transactions database that contains
> single user transactions. Each transaction has a sku #,
> dateTime stamp, amount, etc. Would I have to summarize
> this data myself before Analysis Services could use it, or
> would Analysis Services constantly look at the new
> transaction data to summarize it for quicker reporting.
> Just a bit confused on how it all works. Any help would be
> appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Shawn

1. Herlp: LIKE in SQL doe not work anymore

Friends,
I changed from DAO to ADO and i'm now using access2000. I use the LIKE
phrase in the SQL statements a lot as follows:

ssQL = "SELECT * FROM Cust WHERE CustCode LIKE 'K*';"

rstCust.Open sSQL, connCLVS, adOpenKeyset

in wich rstCust is the recordset, connCLVS is the Connection

The LIKE phrase worked fin in DAO but noit in ADO

Can someone please help me out??

Regards
G.Esmeijer

2. SQL7 on W2000

3. Where is RMAN doing the work?

4. setting up Sybase, converting from Oracle

5. Going rate for a DBA with Applications Experience - doing contract work

6. Book Review? Exploring FoxPro Volume II

7. Anyone done any work with DAO 3.5?

8. Finding records that are substring of a certain word

9. Oracle 7/8/8i OCI,JDBC,JSQL,Pro*C work done for fixed price

10. How to tell WHO is doing the dbms work

11. Need some Oracle DBA work done????

12. No work was done error.

13. Implementing a work-to-be-done table with many workers on 6.5