Connecting to a Sql Server 2000 SP3 from a Sql Server 2000 SP2

Connecting to a Sql Server 2000 SP3 from a Sql Server 2000 SP2

Post by Pete Ocasi » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:02:23

I have attempted to register a Sql Server 2000 SP3 on my SQL Server 2000 SP2
Server and each time I receive the server does not exist or cannot connect
error.  I am able to ping the system in which the sp3 server is located so
is not a connectivity issue.  My connection is over a VPN using PPTP and my
intention is to conduct replication between the two servers.  Replication
have worked so far with most of my users but not with this one.  The only
common denominator is the fact that this is a sp3 server.   Are there any
suggestions on how to solve this problem?  Short of reinstalling the Sp3
server to bring it back to sp2, I don't see a solution to the issue.
Upgrading the sp2 server to sp3 is not an option.  Thanks in advance for
your help.

Connecting to a Sql Server 2000 SP3 from a Sql Server 2000 SP2

Post by Steve Thompso » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:07:07

Quote:> I have attempted to register a Sql Server 2000 SP3 on my SQL Server 2000
SP2
> Server and each time I receive the server does not exist or cannot connect
> error.  I am able to ping the system in which the sp3 server is located so
> is not a connectivity issue.  My connection is over a VPN using PPTP and
my
> intention is to conduct replication between the two servers.  Replication
> have worked so far with most of my users but not with this one.  The only
> common denominator is the fact that this is a sp3 server.   Are there any
> suggestions on how to solve this problem?  Short of reinstalling the Sp3
> server to bring it back to sp2, I don't see a solution to the issue.
> Upgrading the sp2 server to sp3 is not an option.

I think your best option is upgrading from SQL Server 2000 SP2 to SP3.
Replication relies heavily on stored procedures and the SQL Server agent,
ideally you'd want your servers at the same SP level.

Steve

Connecting to a Sql Server 2000 SP3 from a Sql Server 2000 SP2

Post by Andrew Sha » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:12:34

Steve is right, you should aim to have all your servers at the same SP
level.
Why is "Upgrading the SP2 server to SP3" not an option? It may not be an
easy or convenient option, but it should be an option.