will SQL client ver 7 completely interoperate with SQL Server 6.5

will SQL client ver 7 completely interoperate with SQL Server 6.5

Post by Mark Galaszkiewic » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm Running a 6.5 Server yet can only purchase 7.0 client licences,
any problems running the ver 7 client accessing a ver 6.5 server?

Thanks in advance.

will SQL client ver 7 completely interoperate with SQL Server 6.5

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Mark,

As I recall, that's fine. You might want to get an official statement on
that, though.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

>I'm Running a 6.5 Server yet can only purchase 7.0 client licences,
>any problems running the ver 7 client accessing a ver 6.5 server?

>Thanks in advance.

will SQL client ver 7 completely interoperate with SQL Server 6.5

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Mark - this should run ok, but the license lets you use 6.5 clients as well.

Quote:> I'm Running a 6.5 Server yet can only purchase 7.0 client licences,
> any problems running the ver 7 client accessing a ver 6.5 server?

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

1. Triggers in SQL ver 6.5 and SQL ver 7.0

Hello,

I have a table called STUDENTS and STUDENTS_LOG.

I have created a TRIGGER on STUDENTS table that executes automatically when
I attempt to Insert or update the STUDENTS table.  The trigger adds a record
into STUDENTS_LOG using the INSERTED logical  table. This is to keep a
history of all modifications in the STUDENTS table.
------------------------------------
CREATE TRIGGER TRIG_STUDENT ON dbo.STUDENTS

FOR INSERT,UPDATE
AS

  INSERT INTO STUDENTS_LOG SELECT *  FROM INSERTED
-------------------------------------

STUDENTS table contains an IDENITY field.  I use a stored procedure to add a

other purposes.
STUDENTS_LOG table does not contain any IDENTITY fields

This operation worked fine with SQL ver 6.5

command in the TRIGGER

Why?

Thankyou for your time.

Gina Geurgis
The University of Queensland

2. Upgrading from 9.04 to 10.01 and Sybase 10.0.1

3. SQL Server 6.5 - Client Upgrade from SQL 6.0 to 6.5

4. VB6 Appending Records in a Table to another Table

5. Use of SQL Server 7.0 Client with SQL Server 6.5 Server

6. build a tamper-proof server?

7. migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5

8. Compiling ESQLC with C++

9. Please help - completely stuck: SQL Server 6.5 bcp fixed width import problem

10. SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 6.5 Clients on Same Machine

11. Copying files from SQL (MS SQL Server 6.5, WIN 4.0 server, WIN95 client)

12. How to Move my DAtabse from SQl 7Trial ver to SQl Server Full Ver

13. Ver 6.5 SQL Server ERROR seen on 7.0: Losing DTC Service May Leave Orphaned Transactions (Q195542)